Chapter Seven - Dead Man's party

[THE INSTITUTE]

CLARY: I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?

ISABELLE: Because we protect humans.

CLARY: You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock.

ALEC: There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense.

"Really Alec" said Rose.

He simply shrugged his shoulders.

ISABELLE: Alec, not now.

JACE: Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it.

CLARY: But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". What am I supposed to do now?

"Planet Bongo" said Ginny laughing.

ALEC: We have to report to the Clave.

JACE: Great.

ALEC: They have to know we've learned about Valentine.

CLARY: What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon

"You do realise not everything is about you" said Laina "It's all connected. There is a bigger picture, that the version of you in the screen does not see" 

"Ye the version of me in the screen" said Clary annoyed "Not this version of me. I can't control anything she does"

"This is what you would have done if we had not been transported here" said Laina.

JACE: Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup.

CLARY: Why? It makes new Shadowhunters.

ALEC: Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself.

ISABELLE: Plus, it controls demons.

JACE: They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup.

CLARY: So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?

"Not all about you" chimed Laina.

Jace, Luke and Clary glared at her.

ADELAINE: So, this just doesn't matter to you?

CLARY: Yes, of course, it matters! Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight.

ISABELLE: It's true. She was raised as a mundane.

ALEC: [to Izzy] What are you, her spokesman now?

CLARY: I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan.

[HOTEL DUMORT]

[Simon is locked in a room. He looks through the glass and pounds on the door.]

SIMON: Hello! Anyone? I'm just an accounting student. I have no value to anyone. And I barely saw your faces, so if you let me go, I couldn't even identify you. Not that I would, 'cause you guys are vampires! Who would believe me? I didn't even know you guys existed until yesterday! Is anyone there?