Chapter Nineteen - Morning Star

[THE INSTITUTE, CLARY'S ROOM]

[Jace closes the JC box. He looks frustrated.]

JACE: How could I not know?

CLARY: I spent a lifetime not knowing who I was. But, Jace, the one thing I know for sure is that you are not a bad person. You're not Valentine.

Alec nodded in agreement.

[Jace thinks about the moment he had his blade to Valentine's throat.]

JACE: I should have killed him. And yet I can't shake the feeling that he was right.

CLARY: Jace, Valentine is my father, too. We are the same–

JACE: No, we're not, Clary. No, we are not. Jocelyn raised you. I was raised by Valentine, and a pair of baby booties isn't gonna change that.

CLARY: [taking the JC box from Jace] Stop! Look, I can't even begin to explain what happened in our past, but our mom can. We are so close to waking her up. You want answers as badly as I do, we have to go back to the Hotel DuMort and talk to Camille.

JACE: Fine. Where's Simon?

[THE INSTITUTE, HALLWAY]

[Simon is about to go back to the Hotel DuMort.]

CLARY: Simon, wait!

SIMON: What's going on?

JACE: We need your help.

CLARY: The Book of the White. It contains the spell that can wake my mom, but she hid it so Valentine can never find it.

JACE: We have a lead.

[Clary shows Simon the bookmark.]

SIMON: The Bookmark of the White?

"Its a piece of the book" said Magnus rolling her eyes.

CLARY: It's a piece of the book itself. Magnus tracked its owner to the Hotel DuMort, but it belongs to Camille.

SIMON: [taken aback] Okay, um... I'll set a meeting with Raphael.

CLARY: Thank you.

[THE INSTITUTE, MONITOR ROOM]

[Alec approaches his mother.]

Alec sighed in to his hands.

ALEC: Have you spoken with Lydia? No one's seen her since the wedding. [His mother doesn't respond.] Mom, come on.

ROBERT: Maryse.

ALEC: Mom, I understand you're upset, but this is–

MARYSE: Calling off the wedding would've been one thing, but kissing that warlock in front of the entire Institute? You've embarrassed all of us.

ALEC: Why? Because he's a guy?

MARYSE: No. The fact that he is a guy, as you say, is the least of my worries.

ALEC: Then what's the problem?

MARYSE: That you chose Magnus Bane.

Alec flinched.

ROBERT: His reputation precedes him. And even for a warlock, he's a bit of a lothario. Alec, there's so much that you don't know about him.

ALEC: Well, then I plan to get to know him. And if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you deal with it. Now, I have to go find Lydia.

"Wow" said Jace "That was surprising. you talking back to Maryse like that"

Izzy nodded.