Chapter Fifty Five - A Kiss from a Rose

[JONATHAN'S APARTMENT]

[Jonathan is sipping a drink by the fireplace. Clary approaches Jonathan.]

Everyone looks shocked.

CLARY: Did you miss me?

"What am I doing there?" said Clary shocked.

JONATHAN: I told you I did.

CLARY: Next time you want to send a message like that, use e-mail.

Everyone chucked nervously.

JONATHAN: I'll admit it was a little dramatic. But it got your attention, didn't it?

CLARY: Being back at the Institute and having to play Jace's virginal little girl again, it got real old, real fast. I missed our life together.

"What?" said Jace looking hurt.

"That isn't me, it can't be" said Clary.

JONATHAN: Why did you leave me in the first place?

CLARY: Because I felt like it. We Morgensterns don't like being told what to do.

"I am not a Morgenstern" spat Clary.

[Clary sits down by the fire.]

JONATHAN: That's the first time you've called yourself a Morgenstern.

CLARY: It's who I am, isn't it?

"No" said Clary.

JONATHAN: What do you say we take this family reunion on the road? We go to Madrid. Drink Tempranillo and visit the Prado.

CLARY: I would love to visit the Prado! You know, I've always wanted to see those Botch paintings in person.

"That is not you" said Simon "You said Botch wrong"

Everyone looked relieved.

JONATHAN: "Botch"? Botch paintings? It's Bosch, you idiot. Clary would never get that wrong.

CLARY: Whatever, I was close enough.

Everyone looked confused.

[Jonathan rises and grabs "Clary" by the throat.]

JONATHAN: Tell me, are all Seelie Nymphs lent out by the Bone Chandelier so boneheaded?

"Seelie Nymphs?" Clary asked.

[Jonathan throws "Clary" on the ground and she transforms in her original Seelie form again. It's the Seelie Lanaia.]

"That is creepy" said Alec "The fact that he makes someone transform into you Clary"

"It is so creepy" agreed Clary.

LANAIA: It's not my fault the words are lame.

JONATHAN: Stick to the script. And never mouth off to me.

"That is so wrong" said Izzy, shaking her head.

LANAIA: It won't happen again. I promise. I'll be better.

[Jonathan walks to the window and looks in the distance at the Institute.]

JONATHAN: Don't bother. I was foolish to ever think I could be satisfied with a fake. I suppose I'll just have to get my hands on the real thing.