Chapter 1

VAERYS POV

It is the first of September and everyone has been rushing to get onboard the train to Hogwarts. I find my way to the prefects cart where Snape told me to wait. I had been made prefect this year. I really dont know why as I majorly terrify kids.

I walk through the cabins while eyes trailed upon me. I really dont mind, I got used to it. Having my bag hanging from my shoulder, wearing my Slytherin robe neatly as prefects were asked to wear robes now for some reason. I stumbled upon a kid on the prefects carriage. He must be a 1st year, couldn't blame him why he got lost.

"Go find a cabin on the other cart, you're not supposed to be here" I calmly said as the boy scurried away. I must say, im often calm and quiet, also really respected here. Some say im cold and intimidating but for some reason, im widely known at Hogwarts. I get asked out by numerous boys and girls throughout my years.

"Travers, nice to see you here. Your batchmates are already in the cabin" McGonagall welcomed me with a smile. I answered her with a nod and a small smile as I enter the cabin to find Draco Malfoy, one of my closest friends. I also see Weasley and Granger here. Unlike many Slytherins, I actually find Granger to be smart and quickwitted. I find blood statuses as something silly here. I really dont mind Muggle-Borns.

"Ah, Vaerys you finally arrived" Draco greeted me with a smirk. I nodded at him and looked at Weasley who was an inch away from punching Draco. That bloke already managed to piss off someone?
"As I was saying, Weasley. Im quite surprised you came back this year. Mummy found a way to scrap up some second hands again?" Draco sneered at Weasley which I didn't really care.

"Why wont you and that girlfriend of yours find somewhere else to sit. Maybe in Azkaban, where your father should be" Weasley gritted his teeth in response. I chuckled at this red heads reply.

"You think this is funny?" Draco looked at me and I smirked.

"Is your prefect badge a hand me down too, Weasley? Your brother made quite the reputation here, surely you can meet the lowest expectations for you" I sneered at him. He dragged me into this, I would have stayed quiet on the first place.

"Good one, Vaerys. Maybe McGonagall just felt sorry for Weasley, always in the shadows." Draco replied with a grin. Weasley lost it and clutched his fists together.

"Ronald, no need to stoop down to their level" I heard Hermione speak for the first time this morning. She had quite the soothing voice if I say so myself.

"Shut it, Mudblood. Someone as filthy as you has no say in this" Draco retorted. I saw the hurt in Hermione's eyes.

"Draco, lets just let this one go, its not worth the time here" I told Draco as he backed off and huffed some breathe while crossing his arms. Draco and I have been bestfriends yet some of our views still contrast each other. Its a stupid thing, to underestimate muggle borns. Or even calling them mudbloods. Especially Hermione. Shes the brightest witch of her age, far more better than some purebloods I know.

"And what is all the commotion here?" McGonagall entered the cabin with the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff prefects.
"This year, you have been made prefects. Act accordingly. Or atleast act like you all get along" she scolded us. Weasley glared at Draco and Draco was doing the same.

"Its lovely to see everyone here" Luna Lovegood spoke up with her dreamy voice. Luna and I are also friends, she gives the best but weird advices.

"Shut it yo-" Before Draco could finish his sentenced, I kicked his feet. He shot me an annoyed glance and I raced my eyebrows on him.

"Nice to see you too, Luna" I calmly replied to everyones slight shock. I guess they didnt expect me to be friends with Lovegood here.

HERMIONE POV

"That bloke and his stupid girlfriend" Ron kept blabbering about Malfoy and Travers as soon as we hopped off the train. I could smell the fresh earthy smell, oh how I missed this.

"Well to be completely fair, you kind of dragged her in that conversation in the first place" I said while walking next to him waiting for the first years to gather their things.
"All first years please line up here!" I said and the shy first years quietly formed a line.

"Are you honestly defending them?" Ron irritably said. I looked at the first years, there are 25 of them. The chugging sound of the Hogwarts express still in the background and the chattering of reunited friends accompanying it.

"Malfoys a bloke, while Travers wouldnt have attacked you if you didnt attack her first" I explained to Ron. He has quite the temper and can be a jerk sometimes.

"You dont even fully know Travers!" Ron exclaimed. I had known Travers for five years now. She isnt like the typical slytherin who would bully anyone on their way. Shes this cold and intimidating slytherin who everyone respects. She can get nasty at times when people pick on her. But thats really it. I even heard from some Slytherins that her father is a death eater, Tormil Travers. While her mother was a Lestrange.

"I know enough that if you leave her alone, she'll leave you alone" I responded to him and at that moment, Hagrid arrived to take the first years into the lake.

"I'll take it from er, Ermione. Come to me hut for sum tea anytime soon" Hagrid said with a smile.
"Nice ter see ya too Ron! FIRST YERS! Follow me" Hagrid yelled and the shy first years looked at the giant man in awe.

"Hermione, would you assist the 2nd year Gryffindors? And Ron, you take the 3rd years" Percy said. Hes the head boy this year. I nodded and went on to find the 2nd years wearing red and gold.

"2nd year Gryffindors! Line up here please! No pushing!" I rallied up, there were only a handful of them. Maybe around 10? I glanced over to my left where the Slytherins are and saw Travers lining up their 2nd and 3rd years with ease. Probably because of her authoritative demeanor.

"Any funny business and you might find yourself in a graveyard" I heard Travers discipline a reckless 2nd year who gave us all trouble last year. I looked over the far left to see Malfoy have a smug look on his face as he commands their 4th years and 5th years.

"Be weary of the nargles now" I heard Luna's voice as she talks to their 2nd year currently walking towards Hogwarts.
"I can see wrackspurts around your head, Vaerys" she said to Travers as they walked past the Slytherins.

"Right, feels fuzzy. I'll handle them soon" Travers said and gave Luna a small smile. Maybe the cold slytherin isnt as bad as I thought.