Chapter 20

HERMIONE POV

"Not too high!" Molly yelled out to the teens that were aboard their broomsticks playing quidditch. It was a dull afternoon, as if the skies were trying to keep itself from crying. Its gloomy and cold. I guess that didn't stop the others from playing quidditch.

"Have you seen Sirius? He said he'll show us something" Vaerys said as she dismounted from her broomstick.

"What is it?" I asked while handing her a sweater. Vaerys just shrugged as an answer. She then proceeded to wrap her arms around me while her head rests on my shoulder. I could feel my cheeks suddenly heat up from her touch.

"Im not sweaty, I promise" Her voice was muffled as she buried her head on my neck. The boys were still up in the air with Ginny continuing on the game.

"Is the game over? Why did you come down?" I asked her. My heart was already beating faster than normal at this point.

"No, I just wanted to take a break" She said while lifting her head. "Besides, you look kinda lonely here"

"Oi! We're gonna clean up now!" Fred called out. Vaerys retracted her arms and picked up her broom.

"Cmon now, we should get going" She said with a warm smile.

"Now, children. You better be quiet about this. I dont think Dumbledore will be pleased when he finds out" Sirius says in a low tone. It was after dinner. He led us all to a room below the Burrow. It was filled of cobwebs with a large portrait-like figure stood in the middle covered in cloth.
"Take note though. The things you see here will not be real. Be careful not to let it drive you mad" He said while smiling. He carefully unveiled the figure under the cloth.

"So thats where it was moved" I heard Harry whisper. There underneath the cloth lies the mirror of Erised that Harry talked about from the first year we are at Hogwarts.

"Ah, my boy seems to be familiar with this! This is the Mirror of Erised. It shows the heart's deepest desire. It is only a vision. It is not real" Sirius presented. Each one took turns with gazing upon the mirror. When it was finally my turn, my heart dropped. I thought I'd see Voldemort dead or something about my academics. But no, I see Vaerys and I. There was this unknown feeling that felt deeper than mere butterflies in my stomach.

"You seem worried" Ginny whispered at me. I was busy gazing at the mirror that I failed to notice there was only half of us in that room. The others already went up the Burrow to get ready for bed.

"Its nothing" I said while giving her a smile. She still looked skeptical.

"Alright. Ron, Harry and I will go up now" She said as she patted my shoulder. I nodded at her and proceeded to return my gaze at the mirror. I then realized that it was just Vaerys and I in that room. She seemed like she was staring too long at the mirror with her eyebrows creased.

"What do you see?" I asked her. She slowly looked at me and paused for a minute as if she was thinking of an answer?

"Nothing much. Its ,uh its accurate" She said. I couldn't help but notice she seems startled and bothered. "What do you see?"

"Honestly, not what I expected." I answered and walked closer to her. I was still contemplating whether or not I should tell her the truth. I mean, it does seem that we share the same feelings right? This isn't just a game shes playing?
"I uh, saw you. You and I." I hesitated while avoiding her eyes.

"Oh" she answered. I looked up and her eyes were glued to the floor.

"Oh? Is that all you could say?" I questioned her. I told her what I saw. Technically, I told her what I desired. And all shes gonna say is 'Oh'?

"Why?" She added still not looking at me.

"I dont even know why" I honestly answered. My voice trembled a little. Fearing that I was the only one who had these feelings.

"Hermione, im the last thing you would want" She shook her head while tears were starting to form down her face. "You have seen me kill. You know how many I've killed. I'll hurt you."

"I know you. You're not who you describe yourself to be, Vaerys" I told her. Tears were already sliding down her cheeks.

"You and I together is a far too cruel fate for you." Her voice quivered.

"You lead me on, then?" I scoffed. "You made me think that you had feelings for me. You made me fall for you!" I yelled out. "That alone is a fate far too cruel" I said as my vision blurs from the tears. I walked away from her. I walked away from that room and made my way to Ginny's room.

"How can she act like that?" I muttered after telling Ginny what happened.

"I don't understand Vaerys that much. But I do know that the two of you have something" Ginny whispered. I chuckled bitterly to the statement. Have something? Really? She led me on to believe that there was something. And now all she had to say was. Her and I together is a cruel fate for me.

"She has no right to decide whats best for me." I told her with tears running down. "Shes just...confusing me. What if it was just a game to her? That shes playing me? What if shes just acting like that because she has no other options? She sleeps around when she was at Hogwarts. She had one time things with other slytherins. What if shes just bored and decided to play with me and act like we had something?"

"Its better if we get some sleep. Cmon now. You can sleep in my bedroom" Ginny said as she hugged me tightly. I guess my eyes grew heavy due to the amount of crying I did.