Chapter 13

VAERYS POV

Draco has been pacing up and down the corridors for the last few minutes. Tonight is the night where the deatheaters plan to kill Potter. If this mission fails, Draco knows hes done for.

"It'll be a success, dont worry yourself. Its suspicious" I narked. It was dreadful watching him pace up and down while feeling the nervousness too.

"Did you atleast find out Potter's weakness?" He hysterically asked trying to calm himself.

"As the Dark Lord asked" I said and stood up from the chair near the common room fireplace.
"Come on, its dinner" I said.

Im feeling dreadful and worried about this whole thing. What if this fails and we get killed? Am I really gonna let Harry get killed? If I help the deatheaters, this will make me one of them. I looked up on the slytherin crest at the fireplace. The room has been looming with coldness and mystery.

"Im not going to dinner, you go ahead" Draco sighed with his cold gray eyes still stuck on the ground.

"You are making yourself suspicious, you fool" I shook my head and proceeded to walk out the common room taking a deep breathe and huffing it out to calm my nerves. I put on my cold and stollid facade as I walk through the dungeons.

"I have to warn them somehow" I muttered to myself. I need to make sure the DA is ready for this. I dont want my classmates dying, I had seen enough death. Especially Granger. I feel like I am still having an internal battle with myself. I know where my loyalties lie but I also do want to live.

"Granger" I whispered to myself as if merlin gave me a blessing or curse. There stood infront of me, at the entrance of the great hall, Hermione Granger. I cant be seen with her. Not now. Draco might see us and think that I am betraying him.

"Stay away from Harry" I discreetly walked up to Granger passing by her and got close enough to whisper causing Granger to look at me with questioning eyes. I looked around before turning to her again.
"The favor I asked you. Do it tonight" I whispered and walked away feeling the strange gaze from Granger.

One thing I had learned from observing Harry is that his weakness is his friends. Basing from the stories Granger would talk about, Potter is an emotional lad and can be impulsive. Harming those he loves would break him. But what am I gonna report to the deatheaters? If I say his weakness is his friends, Granger could be in trouble here. Why does that girl even have to be friends with him?

I sighed at my thoughts and continued to eat the mashed potatoes served this evening. Draco did not make an appearance tonight. I had eyed the clock all evening. Every tick the clock makes brings us closer to the infiltration.

"Shit" I muttered as I remembered something. The vanishing cabinet is the room of requirement where the DA has been practicing. I looked around wide eyes trying to find a pair of green eyes. I do not wish for Harry to die. And Granger would be in that room too. Bellatrix and Fenrir are among the deatheaters that should arrive. They are bloody dangerous.

I immediately finished my dinner and stood up to look for Harry which I fortunately found under a staircase in one of the towers. I looked around and no one was there.

"Harry" I called out. He quickly turned to me and I could see the dark circles under his eyes. He has not been getting sleep too?

"What do you want?" He asked me with his hand tightly gripping his wand.
"Are you going to do something? Why did you ask Hermione to stay away?" He asked with his eyes wide and ready to attack.

"Im an ally, Harry" I calmly answered.
"Be ready for tonight" I warned him. He crunched his forehead and looked straight at me.

"This involves Voldemort" He stated. How could he know? I was taken aback.
"I dont know how but I dream of things" He answered my questioning expression. I slowly nodded at him.

"Your friends are your weakness. And your enemy knows how to use ones weakness against them" I stated.

"Somethings happening tonight" He clarified. I nodded and turned back to walk away. He clearly is aware now.

Draco and I exchanged looks one last time before Draco goes up to the 7th floor to help the deatheaters while im here near the great hall waiting for them; looking around for Harry and the DA. Its best if I dont know where they are.

"Ms. Travers, it is certainly late to be roaming around isnt it?" I slightly jumped as I hear Snapes voice behind me.

"Sir, I am sure that you are aware of tonights events" I answered looking at him straight in the eyes.

"You had chosen your side" Snape said and walked away. I assume hes going up to the 7th floor to wait for the deatheaters. I dont know how Snape does this  spying thing but its hard.

Soon I heard the crazy chilling laughter of Bellatrix Lestrange and the other deatheaters.
"Vaerys, dear! It is good to see you!" Bellatrix manically said. She was with Draco and Lucius. The other deatheaters are probably climbing the Gryffindor tower.

"Oh Merlins" We heard the exclaim of McGonagall as she looked straight at us with the other staff behind her still wearing their sleepwear.

"Oh Minerva! It is certainly good to see you!" Bellatrix crackled as she made her way down to the great hall. The professors all had their wands out. There were 5 deatheaters with Bellatrix down in the great hall. There was silence and tension before incantations and spells broke out. Jets of green and red light came passing through the air. There is a battle.

"Theres Potter" I muttered as I spot Harry with Ron and Hermione. Due to the noise, the battle has awakened the whole castle. Those who were old enough were fighting while the others were being evacuated by prefects.

"Theres the boy!" Lucius exclaimed in the middle of the spells.

"Expelliarmus!" I heard Harry yell out trying to fight. I ran up to where they are and everything happened so fast and now we were surrounded by 5 deatheaters, the staff at the distant and the DA close to them. Harry, Ron and I were surrounded. I glanced to my side where I find Granger being held up by a deatheater.

"Father" I muttered while trying not to show fear in my eyes. Everyone had their wands pointed at someone.

"It is good to see you, my child" Father said in a chilling voice. Everyone gasped as I clutched my wand which was still lowered.
"Shall I combust this mudblood?" He snickered and looked at Harry.

"Hermione! No!" I heard Harry yell. I looked around once more and saw that there was only 4 death eaters left. Crabbe's father has fallen down, presumably dead.

"You were right, Vaerys. This boy has an unfortunate weakness" I hear Bellatrix laugh out. Harry looked at me with eyes that could kill.

"You? You did this?! We trusted you!" Harry yelled with his voice shaking in anger. I looked back at the eyes of Granger who was filled with hurt and fear.

"Now, child. I'll let you do the honors of harming the mudblood. Just like the corpse you made when you were nine" Father talked to be with his wicked smile. I hesitated as I put my wand up.

Will I really do this? Kill Granger? Thats never what I wanted. Merlins I told her to stay away! Why didnt she listen?

"Whats with the hesitation? Have you gone to the foolish side?" Bellatrix pushed on. Everyone was eyeing me as I huffed out some breathe.

"I know where my loyalties lie" I said while my hands quiver to stay up.
"Avada Kedavra!" I yelled as the jet of green light shoot out of my wand. I looked at the pair of brown eyes who just stared at me in fear.