Chapter 8

HERMIONE POV

Everything has changed so quickly. Dumbledore is gone, the fear is lingering through the air. Harry has been getting sleepless nights from his nightmares and Sirius even warned us to always be on guard. No one still believes when they say you-know-who has returned thanks to the minister.

It didnt really help whenever Travers or Malfoy were around. Their usual snicker, grin or smirk simply disappeared for a while now. Travers' eyes grew even darker and colder. She had dark circles around her eyes usually sporting a stolid expression as she walks through the corridors exhuming coldness and darkness. Her temper had gone worse and was always in a foul mood.

"Lets go, Hermione" Ron called out as we were about to do our prefect rounds.

"Alright, Weasley and Diggory you are assigned the great hall, Malfoy and Lovegood you go for the east wing" Penelope Clearwater, assigned tasks to each prefect.

"And lastly, Granger and Travers, you take care of the corridors in the court yard area" she said. I sighed as I hear myself get partnered with Travers. What a pleasant morning indeed. Of all the prefects, they assign me with Travers.

We walked along the courtyard checking every students uniform and distance. Some stupid rules that Umbridge implied. All throughout, Travers has not said a word to me at all. Which I should be thankful for. Atleast she doesnt annoy me everyday.

"Your tie, Mclaggen" I heard Travers speak in her cold tone.
"Maintain 8 inches away, Hufflepuffs" Travers swatted two students walking close to each other. She had gotten into her authoritative demeanor.

"Are you seriously following these stupid rules Travers?" Mclaggen snapped at her which caused Travers to look at him dead in the eyes. Oh God that stare may be enough to ruin the faint hearted.

"Oh did I hurt your fragile ego, Mclaggen?" Travers snapped back.
"Funny to think someone who boasts about his family being big in the ministry cannot even follow simple rules such a disgrace, really" Travers continued with her eyes still darted at Mclaggens. I watched as Mclaggen gritted his teeth and took off.

"You should stop picking fights, you're a prefect" I whispered at her causing her to look at me and stepped forward. Still with that expressionless face.

"And you should stop meddling with things that dont concern you" she whispered and the bell rang, it was time for classes

VAERYS POV

Stupid Mclaggen. Stupid rules. Everythings stupid. I huffed as I briskly walked my way out of class. I dont even know what im feeling. Anger? Guilt? Fear? Maybe a mix of all. These sleepless nights has been getting to me as I help Malfoy figure out the vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement. We were tasked of devising a way for deatheaters to enter the castle. All the pressure coming into me really affected my temper. It became hard for me to control my werewolf.

"Any luck?" I asked Draco as he caught up with me, probably came from the room of requirement.

"None" He said with a sighed as we made our way back into our potions class. And I know I have been flunking my classes.
"Watch it, Creevey" Draco taunted the 4th year, Collin Creevey.

The class went on fast as I just stare into the window, not really listening to anything Snape has said. I had absolutely no focus at all.

"Ms Travers, would you stay after the class" Snape coldly told me as everyone packed up and left.

"You are making this very obvious" Snap stated.
"You have been failing classes, Travers" he added and looked at me.

"I know" I huffed out and crossed my hands.

"And that is why I find it fitting for you to be tutored" He said. I looked at him with my forehead creased.

"Sir, I have more things in my mind than stupid classes" I snapped out and stood up.

"Dumbledore has believed in you" Snape stated and I quickly looked at him with a questioning gaze.
"And he still does. I expect you to go to the library after classes" he said and briskly walked towards the door.

"Why does everything seem so hard" I sighed and walked out the room for my other classes pushing aside what I had to do after classes.

Class hours has been oven and I strutted my way out of the corridors and walked to the library where Snape said a tutor would be waiting for me. I honestly think this is a stupid thing. Does he not know the Dark Lords wishes? He'll have us killed if we fail. Studies should be the least of my concern here.

I entered the rustic Library that would remind me of a certain witch. Granger. I would often catch her here late after classes doing what she calls light reading. I had to distance myself from her. I just have to. I had enough regrets.