Chapter XLVII

~Wednesday 7th March 2018~

"It'll be alright," Vasile whispered to Dakota, pecking the boy's lips as he lifted him over one of the fallen trees within the forest. He had far too much optimism within him for a man about to meet with the devil. Vasile was alone in that feeling, with Izelon and Ysmael looking all too solemn. They had been closer to the Arizona's over the years, Ysmael had dealt with Joshua in the past and Izelon had walked directly into the lions' den only a few months ago. Vasile just didn't know how out of his depth he was.

"Dakota?" Great, Veronica was there, as was Waverly and Raylen, Joshua clearly wasn't interested in peace talks, "what are you boys doing here? Joshua told me you were on an extended..." Veronica trailed off as she looked at the three gargoyles joined at the hands of each brother, thankfully still disguised due to their rings, "trip," Dakota could only sigh, shaking his head as the glowers and sneers began from the triplets, standing with Raylen. He had been the only brother they ever seemed to like, even though he didn't return the affection all too much. And he definitely wasn't looking too comfortable that morning.

"What are you doing, Joshua? What is this?" Considering Joshua only seemed to address Dakota directly, it was best for him to speak. Easton wouldn't talk, not with the fury in his expression, and Torin looked too passive to actually have any effect with his words. Dakota would get straight to the point, he had things to do that day, and Joshua fucking up his mood was not on the agenda. He had held that opinion since Torin and Ysmael had entered the penthouse that morning with the news of Joshua wanting to meet with all of them and he would continue believing it until they got to leave that damn forest.

"Don't you think your mother deserves the truth?" Dakota wasn't sure what game Joshua was playing, however, he wasn't particularly excited to find out either, "don't you think she deserves to know the monsters you boys have become?" He looked far too smug for this own worth, and that only stirred up a whole new rage within Dakota.

"Joshua!" Veronica snapped, glowering at her brother in law, "they are my children, what gives you the right to speak to them that way?" Admittedly, Dakota was a little shocked to see his mother actually stand up to Joshua. He hadn't ever heard her talk back to him, or act in any way that a mother should when protecting her young before. Maybe what changed between them was the real cause of this meeting.

"Careful, Veronica," Joshua spoke in a softer, yet more sinister, tone, "one slip of the tongue," Dakota gripped onto Vasile's hand tighter when he heard the low growl rumble from his chest, not needing their side to be the first to spill blood. They didn't need any more reasons for Joshua to attack. Veronica continued to stare down Joshua, before turning to Waverly with a heavy sigh and a meek smile.

"Joshua is your biological father," Dakota wasn't the only one surprised anymore, with Torin, Easton and Raylen wearing similar expressions. Waverly had always been pretty distant from her brothers, or half-brothers now, and it all finally made sense. Why Joshua took a particular shining to her, why she had some green in her eyes, why she never quite fit in.

"There, Joshua, now you hold nothing over me," Veronica sounded pained, but she hid the majority of it well, "tell me what's going on here," she demanded, looking to Joshua, who actually seemed taken aback himself. Dakota had never seen such determination in his mother, such... Severity.

"Wait, mom, I don't understand," Waverly was pale, her eyes flittering from Joshua to Veronica, searching for answers despite the silence she only received in return, "I thought you loved dad," a part of Dakota felt for his only sister, seeing the tears that she was trying so hard to bite back. She had been lied to her entire life, by those she was supposed to trust so much. Then again, had she actually lived with her real father, Dakota doubted her life would have been any better. In fact, it probably would have been a hell of a lot worse.