Chapter II

~Sunday 29th October 2017~

"Vas, are you going to stay in bed all day?" The silence of Vasile's bedroom was shattered by another voice, then footsteps growing ever closer. Of course, he couldn't ever enjoy sleeping in when he was around Akos, that man was up at the crack of dawn, and not by his own accord either.

"Breakfast is almost ready, don't you want any?" Vasile grumbled inaudibly under his breath when he felt the mattress dip beside him, indicating that his friend had settled down at his hip. He really wasn't giving up easily that morning, maybe there was an ulterior motive.

"If I say no, will you let me sleep?" Vasile had still yet to open his eyes, futile hope telling him that, if he didn't see Akos, the man would just disappear once again. It had never worked before, but there was always hope. Futile nonetheless, yet still dwindling.

"I wouldn't count on it," a heavy sigh drifted from Vasile's lips when Akos rested a hand on his side, "is something wrong?" His friend was concerned, as always. It shouldn't shock Vasile, since he had dealt with Akos' worrying for the past sixteen years, but he couldn't help wishing he wasn't such a burden to the man. It made him feel awfully guilty for putting Akos through the months, even years, of concern, however, there was nothing he could do. If he could turn back time, he would. Sadly, there was no such option.

"I saw him last night," Vasile rolled onto his back, finally meeting the bright ruby eyes of his friend, watching them narrow slightly as Akos' brow furrowed. Despite looking very similar in appearances, Vasile had quite the differing personality to Akos. He was far less emotional, by which he meant he didn't allow empathy to rule his decisions. Vasile was in a higher position of authority, allowing anything other than logic to guide him could be detrimental for more than just himself. Lives would be lost, wars could be started, carnage would be let loose.

"What form were you in, Vas?" Akos' voice became firmer, no longer that soothing tone he used to coax Vasile out of bed in the morning. No, there was real apprehension playing in his tone, almost fear. And it wasn't misplaced either, Vasile deserved to be scolded for what he allowed to happen.

"He knew it was me," Vasile replied simply, indicating that he hadn't been wearing one of the many masks he had created, shifting his gaze to stare blankly up at the ceiling above, replaying the images of his boy, his Kept, in his mind, "I think he froze. He didn't tell his brothers, didn't alert them that I was there, he just stared at me. I thought he might have been scared at first but... I think he was OK. He seemed calm, isn't that a good thing?" Vasile could still see him, standing across the road in that alleyway, staring with those beautiful wide eyes. He looked like a deer in headlights, not a very frequent expression for a hunter to wear. And yet, he was gorgeous. The low breeze tossing his curls out of place, a few falling in front of his eyes, whilst those thick lips parted ever so slightly, the tip of his tongue settling between his teeth. He had been torn, Vasile knew that, torn between alerting his brothers to the sight of the gargoyle or simply staring for longer. Thankfully, he chose the latter.

"Dakota is a difficult issue, you know he is. There is nothing calm about that boy, and nothing simple. After what he went through as a child, after being brought up in that house, I'm not surprised he acts like a soldier returning from war. You have to remember that he isn't going to be easy, you will have to be slow with him, patient," Vasile had listened to that lecture enough to memorise every word. Akos hadn't changed his views on Dakota in the past sixteen years, and Vasile doubted that they would alter any time soon either.

"I should have taken him that day," Vasile whispered, thankful for the darkness in the room concealing the tears welling in his eyes. He may not allow his emotions to rule his decisions, but that didn't mean he wasn't able to feel them. He had simply learnt to endure the onslaught that crept into his mind whenever he thought of that day back sixteen years ago. When he had made one of the worst choices of his life.