Chapter XXVI

~Thursday 21st December 2017~

Dakota wasn't sure he had ever been so nervous in all his life, sitting there in the car whilst Loral drove towards the Eldwin. He had assumed there would be some apprehension when he decided to introduce Loral to Mylo, but he didn't think it would be so bad. He could only imagine what Mylo might be feeling, since he seemed much shyer in general than Dakota. They were family, Loral, technically, should take the meeting well. However, Dakota doubted that would be the case.

He was lucky that Mylo had agreed, since he had every right not to want to meet Loral. He had been just as apprehensive about the situation as Dakota, however, it was Akos that calmed the two of them. How badly could Loral really react? He was a pacifist, and he had taken everything so far pretty well, would adding Mylo into the equation really be so much harder? Dakota hoped not, he didn't want to have to deal with any bloodshed that day. Especially since he was still licking his own wounds.

Thankfully, Vasile had actually opened up to Dakota the previous night. He had picked the boy up around one in the morning, after Grant and Veronica had gone to bed, and they just sat in his car for hours. He had apologised for the way he had acted ever since his heat, not that Dakota believed it was warranted, however, he wouldn't agree to go see Kalvin. Apparently, he was getting better, he didn't flinch any time Dakota mentioned sex, and they did manage to have a quickie in the car without him breaking down. That was progress, Dakota could be comfortable with that.

"So, tell me more about Izelon," Loral chimed in, breaking the silence as he turned into the underground car park, "I didn't get to talk to him much during Vas' heat, Pete and I just sat in the living room really. He didn't want me too close to Vas," Dakota had given the excuse of wanting to introduce Loral to Izelon and Akos that day, just to get him to the penthouse in a good mood. It was better that way, and he sure as hell couldn't tell him the truth. Even if he was just as suspicious, no matter the level of trust, any Arizona would always have a degree of apprehension when meeting new people. It was just who they were, they were taught to be cautious. After all, they knew exactly what lurked in the shadows.

"He's pretty cool," Dakota muttered, trying to force some sort of cheer to his voice, although it still remained quiet no matter what, "he cares about V a lot, they're all like that. Akos is alright too but I've not spent too much time with him," because he's the reason Mylo disappeared, Dakota added in his mind. He really was trying with Akos, honestly, it was still difficult, however. He couldn't look at the man and not see every minute of pain he had put their family through. Then again, he made Mylo happy, and that was the only reason Dakota was even trying to be civil at all. He hoped Loral might be a little more friendly toward him, although he had a feeling he might end up worse. Surely, no one could beat Dakota's reaction to meeting him, and Loral didn't have any knives on him so that was a start.

Dakota had already played through every scenario he could think of in how Loral might react to Mylo. He could cry, he could freeze up, he could even have some sort of episode. Hence why Dakota made sure to inform Kalvin that he might be needed at a moment's notice. Loral hadn't had many sessions with him, but he was trusted, and he might be the only one capable of really getting him to understand the information Dakota would be giving him. The boy could only hope that Loral would just take it well, he had prayed for that all night, even stayed up worrying, not that he had much option for sleep without Vasile anyway.

"And you still haven't asked about..." Loral trailed off when Dakota shot him a glower, not wanting to get into that conversation. As much as he tried, Loral just kept bringing Mylo up, tempting Dakota to tell him the real reason for their visit each time. It was better this way, better if he was in the dark. If he was up in the penthouse, there was less chance of him running off back to Grant and Veronica on some futile whim to aid their grief. They couldn't know, and that had to be stressed to Loral when the time came.