Chapter XI

~Tuesday 14th November 2017~

"It won't be bad, I'll be with Pete," Loral countered over the phone, his voice sounding a tad whiney as it always did whenever he was trying to convince Dakota of one of his stupid ideas. Of course, it had to be a damn protest.

"That doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence, Loral, you've been arrested with him before," speaking of which, Pete still owed Dakota almost two grand for his damn bail as well. Then again, after the incident on the full moon, Dakota decided that maybe it was fair to just call it even.

"De, you know I have to," still whining, Dakota rolled his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose in an attempt not to snap at his brother's conscience, it always got him into trouble, "you've seen the way they treat those poor horses at the derby. They kill them if they don't perform well, De, they work them to death. It's awful," Dakota was well aware. He was also aware of the abuse of greyhounds at races, and dogs in fighting, and just about any other ethical issue in the modern world. Loral reminded him of the real monsters in the world any time he organised another activist protest with his friends.

"And your injuries will be just as awful if you get trampled by a fucking horse," Dakota checked the clock on his phone, deciding to get up and finally finish getting dressed. He had gotten distracted by Loral's phone call for too long already.

"It'll be worth it," it never was. Whether it was dog bites and rabies shots, or bruises and broken bones from volting a wall that was certainly much taller on the other side. Loral's injuries were never worth what little he managed to save at these protests.

"Just try not to get arrested, OK? I'm not bailing you out this time. I don't have the money," Loral's laughter only relayed over the speaker as Dakota rested his phone on the bed and rose to his feet.

"You've said that the past three times, De, it isn't a threat anymore. Plus, you always have the money, even though you won't tell me where you get it."

"I'm a drug mule," Dakota stated simply, a small smile on his face at the thought of such a profession.

"You say that but I don't actually know whether you're serious or not and that scares me," Dakota rolled his eyes playfully, not bothering to dignify that with a response. Loral should know over the years that Dakota had many ways to get money, but none of them were illegal. Not in that state anyway.

"Aren't you coming to Tanner's?" Dakota asked as he looked at himself in the mirror, debating which shirt to wear. Mylo had offered more than enough for Dakota to wear, even though they were a little tight on him. He was waiting silently on the bed, lounging across Akos' lap whilst the man was busy on his phone. They looked good together, Dakota couldn't deny that, but it didn't mean he had to condone it either.

"Do you want me to? Pete is busy with, I don't know, something he doesn't want to tell me about, but I could get Torin to drop me off or something?" Loral's voice crackled slightly over the phone that was resting precariously at the foot of the bed. Dakota had offered to speak with Loral away from Akos and Mylo, so that they didn't have to remain so quiet, but apparently the latter wanted to listen. It wasn't shocking really, of course Mylo would want to make up for the years that he didn't have any opportunity to hear any of his brothers' voices, even if that just meant listening in to a mundane conversation over the phone.

"Mmm, I don't really want to see Torin. He's gonna ask me a thousand questions and I'm not in the mood. Why didn't Pete tell you what he's doing?" Dakota had yet to speak to Loral about the fact that he was aware of Pete's extracurricular activities. He thought it best to mention that in person, that way he could really understand Loral's reactions. He didn't want to spook the boy and end up saying something wrong because he judged the situation wrong over the phone.