Chapter XXXI

~Saturday 6th January 2018~

"Loral, wake up," Dakota shook his brother gently, not wanting to startle him when he woke. He was used to Loral sleeping during the journey up to Joshua's, and that usually meant Dakota was pushed up against the door in an awkward position, but at least his brother would be comfortable. It was probably the last good night's sleep Loral would get for the next two weeks anyway, so Dakota was happy to oblige.

"Loral," one of the many Arizona traits, Loral was a deep sleeper. Dakota merely rolled his eyes, giving up and staring out the window instead. They weren't quite at Joshua's just yet, Dakota simply knew that Loral liked to have some time to wake up properly, or he could be in quite the bad mood.

Sometimes, Loral would fall asleep on Easton, if he had joined the two in the back of the car, however, he had chosen to ride with their mother instead this time. Dakota was sure there was something up, since Grant had somehow managed to be alone with his two youngest children, whilst their other siblings all piled into the SUV with Veronica. He had expected some sort of lecture, or even for Grant to just openly tell him that he had managed to find out everything about Vasile, yet there had been nothing. He had been almost silent for the entire drive, with only a few comments on the heating and rest stops. It was concerning, to say the least.

Vasile: It's snowing down here, I wish you could enjoy it with me. Akos and Mylo went down to the park, they're taking advantage of your family being away. It doesn't feel right without you x. Dakota couldn't be sure whether it was Vasile's intention to make him feel horrifically guilty about being away, since that didn't seem like the man's style, but it certainly dredged up the emotions. In his mind, he was sitting on the balcony with Vasile, wrapped up in a blanket, watching the snowfall over the skyline. They would share warm kisses that tasted of hot chocolate and marshmallows, trace patterns in the snow with their fingers, stay close to share their body heat. It would be perfect. And it was all just a damn dream.

Dakota: Next year, I promise. We can go up to Canada or Alaska and spend Christmas in the forests x. Dakota felt a smile linger at the corners of his mouth at the thought of the trip he would be taking with Vasile soon. Vienna, just the two of them, for two weeks. It would make up for every moment they had been away from one another now. It would be the beginning of their lives together, Dakota vowed. By April, he would tell his family about Vasile. He would begin living his own life, the way he wanted, with who he wanted.

Vasile: It's a date. Are you at Joshua's yet? X. Dakota glanced out the window once again, scouring the barren fields and farmland around for any sign of where they might be. Sadly, everything all looked the same, there was nothing specific he could use as a mile marker. That happened to be another reason Dakota hated visiting Joshua. They were all so isolated up there. The neighbours were miles away, the nearest town even further. They were literally in the middle of nowhere, at the mercy of their uncle, with no one to call for help, and Dakota detested that.

"Dad, how long left?" Dakota hadn't particularly wanted to disturb Grant, actually having told himself that the man might have forgotten his children were there, hence why he was so quiet. In the end, it was inevitable, Grant knew the land and he would know.

"About five minutes," just as Dakota thought, Grant sounded stiff. He was never in the best of moods when he had to drive all the way to Joshua's, although he never once complained, not within earshot of his children anyway. Dakota had always wondered how close the two brothers really were, since Joshua never made any actual effort to come see his nephews, they always had to make the journey to him. It seemed, in Dakota's mind, as though Grant was the only one bothering to put in any work to keep their sides of the family from drifting apart.