Chapter XXIV

~Monday 18th December 2017~

Vasile's breaths came out in short pants, turning to billows of steam in the icy air around him, drifting ever higher as they dissipated into the night sky. He was freezing, shivering and tense, despite the heat boiling his blood in his veins. It was a bizarre sensation, to be burning up and practically hypothermic at the same time. He had hoped the cold night air might have soothed him, yet it only seemed to worsen his condition. Yet, still, he didn't dare return inside.

Inside where it was warm, and light, and... crowded. Dakota was inside, as was Mylo, inside was dangerous. It was better that Vasile stay out in the cold, where he might be able to at least grasp at some semblance of control. He only wished he could contact Izelon somehow, ask him to watch over the boys at least, since he had refused to tie the man up this month. Something about not needing the rope anymore. Vasile would beg to differ, he had already almost thrown himself at Dakota once, hence why he had opted to hide himself away on his balcony for the past hour and a half.

He knew he was being foolish. Of course, he knew. He didn't need the others to inform him of that, he was quite capable of understanding that he was not coping with his heat well. Vasile wasn't stupid, he knew he should have been spending the time with Dakota. He simply couldn't. He didn't want to push the boy into anything he wasn't ready for. He would never forgive himself. A night of self-loathing and agony would be punishment enough for even considering the possibility.

He had never endured a heat so bad, even the previous month, it hadn't been so... so unpredictable. Normally, the heats progressed throughout the day, with the waves of intensity growing closer and drawing on longer. However, this month, Vasile had woken just as painfully hard as he was right then. He knew it had to be Dakota, of course it had to. The boy had slept curled within the man's arms, despite Vasile having debated for long enough yesterday to send him home. It wouldn't be fair. Dakoa was trying, he couldn't just push him away, whether it was for his own good or not.

"Just because you can't freeze to death, V, does not mean you should test the limits," Vasile physically flinched at the sound of Dakota's voice as the boy settled onto the floor next to the man. He wasn't close enough to touch, but Vasile still felt his cock twitch at the prospect of his Kept simply being around him, only worsening his mood.

As much as Vasile tried to keep his mind off the boy, he couldn't help noticing how much he had missed him all day. He had grown accustomed to spending every moment they had together when he was over at the penthouse. It had been almost painful to be away from him all day, leaving a pit of emptiness welling deep within him. Still, the only thought soothing Vasile was that he was doing it for Dakota's own good. He was safer away from the man, or had been until he had decided to join him out there on the balcony. Vasile wondered why Dakota would play the fool, he likely had his own agenda to perform.

"Y-You shouldn't be out here," Vasile spoke through gritted teeth, quivering lips pursed together in a hard line as he kept his eyes set straight ahead. He didn't like how easily it had been for Dakota to merely appear next to him, to actually catch him off guard. He had been so lost in his own mind that he hadn't even heard the doors opening as the boy had joined him. That wasn't good. He couldn't afford to allow his senses to dull in such a way.

"Neither should you," Dakota countered with an almost sarcastic tone to his voice. He had a right to be angry with Vasile, the man just didn't have the capacity to have that kind of discussion with him. He would explain his actions tomorrow, or maybe later in the evening, after midnight. After he was done being a danger to society.

"You can't be around me right now," Vasile clenched his fists, numb fingers fumbling slightly as he shoved them into the pocket of his hoodie. He even went as far as to shuffle away from Dakota, pressing himself up against the wall to his right, wanting to put as much distance between them as possible.