Chapter XVII

~Wednesday 29th November 2017~

Dakota found it a little bizarre to be on his own in the penthouse, especially since he still didn't think of it as home. In reality, he wasn't entirely alone. Izelon was sitting quietly in the dining room, looking at something on his laptop, whilst Akos and Mylo were lounging in the living room, having been getting a little too handsy for Dakota's liking moments ago. Vasile, of course, was in the shower. He was taking longer than usual, however, Dakota was aware that it took time to wash his hair. He almost offered to help, before he realised what that might have meant. Baby steps.

Looking through the cupboards, Dakota noticed how everything seemed to be low calorie or sugar-free. Likely for Mylo's sake, although he could imagine how painful that might be for the other gargoyles. Then again, they had to have been used to it by now, and Dakota's twin did have them wrapped around his little finger. Still, it would have been nice for something to be a little higher in calories, Dakota was craving a sugar hit.

"Top cupboard is where we keep the contraband," Dakota flinched at the sudden voice so close to him, having jumped enough to hit his head on the top of the cupboard, "shit, sorry, I thought you would have heard me," Dakota stood slowly, wincing ever so slightly as he rubbed the back of his head, setting a pointed glare on Izelon, who was clearly trying to stifle a laugh. Not sorry in the slightest. Bastard.

"The hearing is still new to me," Dakota muttered sullenly, thankful that the pain in his neck dissipated relatively swiftly. He looked up then, at the cupboard that Izelon had clearly been talking about, scowling since he was definitely too short to reach. Damn gargoyles.

"You owe me," Dakota pointed up at the cupboard, finally allowing a half-smile to show on his face. He couldn't stay mad at Izelon, the man never allowed it. He always managed to crack some joke, or just do something innately stupid to cause a smile anyway. It was a waste of time and energy to attempt to hold a grudge.

"Do you want a pop tart? I know Vas keeps some up here," Izelon asked, not even needing to stretch all that much to reach into the cupboard with ease. That only made Dakota feel even shorter.

"If you think he won't mind," Dakota still felt a little awkward about intruding in the penthouse. He checked before using anything, even little things that Vasile reminded him constantly weren't specific to any of them. There wasn't really anything he wasn't allowed to touch, so long as he added to the shopping list anything that he finished.

"I eat them all the time, blame me if he even notices. Sometimes I think he can't count very well," Dakota giggled, stepping to the side whilst Izelon took it upon himself to deal with the pop tart. Apparently, the gargoyles forgot that Dakota wasn't Mylo. He didn't like for things to be done for him, preferring the independence with the majority of tasks. Unless it was Vasile taking care of him, then there was a certain level of acceptance to it. Not that he would mention it either way.

"How old are you?" Not a fan of the silence that fell in the kitchen, Dakota struck up any form of conversation. He might as well spend what little time left that he had that morning finding out some more about Izelon. Especially since Mylo wasn't around to interrogate.

"Just over four and a half thousand. I'm the baby of the family here, it's not completely degrading," Dakota chuckled at the sarcastic air to the comment, perching on the kitchen counter as everyone else in that penthouse seemed to do. So long as someone else was allowed to, Dakota didn't mind doing the same.

"How long have you lived with Akos and V?" Dakota thought it must be nice to live with friends, especially ones so close. Tanner had once offered a guest room at his apartment but it wasn't the right time for either of them really. Dakota had just been released from Briarmere, and he didn't think Torin, let alone his parents, would allow him to be away from the house like that. Then there was Ricki. Tanner was in the early stages of their relationship, and Dakota certainly didn't want to intrude. It wouldn't be fair to put them in that position, no matter how much he would have liked to be out of his overbearing household.