Chapter 6

The next morning, the three of them slept in till 11.30am, all tired of the day before.

The first one to wake up was Sam, rolling out of bed and getting a cup of coffee in the kitchen.

Not long after, Dean walked in, still in his boxers, and a bathrobe for the cold.

“Mornin’,” he grumbled, and got coffee himself too.

“Got any plans for today?” he asked, and Sam shook his head.

“Maybe showing Cas around a bit? I mean, he’s been everywhere as an angel but he needs to learn how to act around other humans. We have to go grocery shopping too, should take him with us. I have no idea what he likes to eat,” he said.

“Speaking of him, I think he’s been sleeping long enough,” Dean stood up. “I’ll check if I’m able to wake him up. It worked yesterday when he had been sleeping way less so…”

Sam looked worried. “Dean, what did you do? Did you… Dean, did you splash water in his face?” he has seen the too well-knowing smirk on Dean’s face.

“He wouldn’t wake up,” was Dean’s explanation, trying to look innocent. Too bad Sam knew his brother well enough to know he had fun splashing water on sleeping people’s faces.

“Hey, Dean, be a bit nicer this time, will ya?”

Dean sighed. “I’ll try,” he said before walking away.

Dean opened the door slowly, peeking his head in to see Cas was still sleeping. He went inside and closed the door behind him. For a moment, he just stood there, watching the fallen angel sleep so peaceful.

He thought about the day before. Cas liked him. Cas had talked him about his feelings. Cas had kissed him. Cas, the man who was once an angel with no emotion, the one who had gripped Dean tight and had raised him from perdition.

Cas, the one who always came when he called, always wanting to help. Cas, the one who left in purgatory, telling Dean it was his own choice. Cas, the man Dean had never fully understood, and probably never would in the future.

And Dean, Dean had kissed him back. In a messy motel room with Sam in the room next to them. And Dean had liked it, a lot. Oh yes, he’s had this feeling in his stomach, a feeling he never had with any woman he ever slept with (and that list was pretty big). And Cas could let Dean feel that way with only a kiss.

As Dean stood there, thinking, Cas slowly woke up. He opened his eyes, looked around and screamed when he saw the person standing next to his bed.

The scream brought Dean right out of his thoughts. “Shh it’s okay, Cas, it’s me, Dean. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” he said.

Cas looked at him. “Dean?”

“Yea, it’s me. c’mon, get outta bed, it’s 11.45.”

Cas still didn’t move. “It’s so comfortable, I don’t want to get out,” he said sadly. “I haven’t had a bed this comfortable since that woman kicked me out.”

“Whoa wait, what?” Dean said. “You were with a woman? You? When?”

Cas smiled sadly. “Well, after I lost my grace, the angel that took it brought me to a random place, took my phone from me and left me there, which is also why you didn’t hear from me.”

Dean thought about that time, when he realized Cas was gone.

“Cas please, listen to me! I need you, Cas. Please stop ignoring me,” Dean spoke as he looked up to the sky.