Chapter 9

Soon, there was a routine in their lives. They’d wake up in the morning, sometimes early, and other times they slept in late. They’d share breakfast, and look for cases or clean the bunker once in a week.

Sam and Dean just did what they always did, killing those ‘evil sons of bitches’, as Dean always named them.

Every time they went away, Cas told them to take care, and every time they came back, Cas would sigh with relief. When Sam and Dean were away, the bunker was too silent.

Cas usually did research on cases, or was just reading a book. He enjoyed reading now that he was a human, it was a nice way of spending time while Dean and Sam were away.

He even had taken over the Winchester way of sleeping: don’t sleep unless you have to. Dean had asked Cas to get more sleep. “It’s unhealthy,” he had said.

“You do the exact same thing,” Cas had responded.

Dean sighed. “I have done it for years, Cas, I’m used to it.”

But Cas knew how to handle Dean. “You started somewhere too, Dean,” he said. He gave Dean a short kiss and went back to research.

What Dean and Cas, they wouldn’t call it a relationship. They barely kissed, because there never was time or Sam was around. The good thing about it was that they perfectly knew how to fixed the other’s tensed muscles by now, and they knew when the other was tensed.

They still hadn’t told Sam anything. Dean wasn’t ready for it, he didn’t know how Sam would react. Of course, Cas was their friend, but what if Sam wasn’t okay with it? They couldn’t throw him out of the bunker and things would get really awkward.

Sam however suspected something. Dean was happier than before, he smiled a lot more and it didn’t seem that the weight of the world was all on his shoulders any more.

 Not to mention the fact that one day Sam woke up and walked out of his room to find Dean and Cas on the couch, Cas snuggled up against Dean.

“He fell asleep against me, I couldn’t bring myself to wake him up and get him to bed, he was so tired,” Dean explained. Sam believed it, but there was something about the way Dean’s shone when he talked about Cas, or the way his arm laid protectively over Cas’ shoulders.

Sam hummed. Maybe they had put Cas up with a bit too much pressure lately. He wasn’t an angel any more, which had not only physically but also emotionally scarred him. And sure, Cas always told them he was fine, but Dean and Sam had done the same, even if they knew they were anything but fine.

As Sam walked to the kitchen to get coffee, he decided to wait till Dean came to him. If there was anything between Dean and Cas, they had to tell him themselves. Sam wasn’t anyone to spy in his brother’s business.

Then, one day, something strange happened.

Dean, Sam and Cas had just woken up, having breakfast at the kitchen table when something moved. It was one of the papers they had looked in for a case the night before.

Thanks to their hunter skills, Sam and Dean noticed the movement immediately. Both their heads snapped to the paper, Dean already unlocking the gun he got from under his seat.

“What’s wrong,” Cas asked.

Sam and Dean kept looking around. “It can’t be anything, this bunker is protected from literally anything. There is nothing that could come inside,” Dean said, suspicious.

Sam thought for a moment. Suddenly, his eyes lighted up. “But what,” he started. “What if that what’s here, can’t go out because it was here when it died?”