Chapter 4: Cruel Summer

(can you guys let me know if the song works?)

Y/n's pov

I hear a clatter from downstairs which wakes me up. I jump up and check my phone for the time. 11:00 am. I get changed into some shorts and a tank top and head downstairs. "Whatcha up to peps?" I ask her as she's sitting at the counter eating toast. "Eh Nothing really. Wanna go for a drive?" She says.

"Yeah let me just get breakfast first" I say grabbing a slice of toast of her plate. "Hey! That's mine" she says defensively. I shrug and bit into the slice, walking to get my shoes.

A couple of minutes later we're in my car. I'm driving while Pepper goes on about what she did yesterday. "Turn that way" she says pointing to the left. I turn and we reach a little field with lavender growing in it. "Oh that's so cute!" She says admiring the field of colorful stalks of lavender.

"Cmon lets go see it" I say stopping and turning off the car. We hop out and continue over to the entrance of the field.

"Wow it's gorgeous" I say. "Yup" Pepper laughs. Suddenly there's rustling between the stalks. "What was that" I whisper. "I don't know, maybe we should go back to the car" Pepper squeaks as she slowly walks backwards. "No. Stay" I say quietly keeping my eyes on the field. The rustling gets closer and I back up a small bit more.

Suddenly two people jump out. Pepper and I scream and jump back. "Woah, yo we're just messing with you guys" a girl says. "HA the looks on you guys faces were priceless" the boy next to her says.

"Jesus you guys scared us" I say. "Sorry we didn't mean to scare you that bad we just saw you coming" the girl says as she reaches her hand out to me. "I'm Gabi" she says. I take her hand and shake it. "Y/n and that's my twin Pepper" I say looking back as her. She waves shyly behind the car.

"Im Ashton" the boy says. "Did you guys just move here" Gabi asks me. "Yeah, we just moved from New Jersey" I say smiling. "Oh cool my moms from there" Ashton says.

"Can we get your guys snap?" Gabi asks. We give her our snapchats and talk while walking through the lavender field for about two hours until we start heading back home.

Once we get home I walk back up to my room. I look over and see that Noah's curtains are open and he's sitting at his desk. I bang on my window and wave. He looks up and laughs, waving back to me.

He looks down at his desk and starts writing. "heyyy" he holds up.

I look around to find my notebook and snatch it and start writing.

"hi" I write.

"whats up?" He writes.

"nothing much" I say back.

"wanna hang out?" He asks me.

I smile at him and nod.

He smiles back and writes "meet me outside in 10 minutes k?".

"ok" I write back and I put my notebook down onto my desk.

I walk into Peppers room while struggling to put on my shoes.

"Hey I'm hanging out with Noah right now see you later" I say.

"What- how did he ask you?" She says. "Oh- ummm he gave me his snap when we were waiting for you yesterday" I say coming up with an excuse. "Okay I'll tell mom see you later" she says. "Thanks peps Bye" I say before walking out of her room.

I hop down the stairs and walk outside to the sun shining into my eyes. I feel a tap on my shoulder and whip my head around. "Oh hey Noah" I smile. "Hey" He replies.

"What are we gonna do?" I ask him. "I mean there's a beach like half an hour away we could go there?" He says. "Sounds perfect" I laugh. We walk over to his car and I hop into the passenger seat.

He hops into the front and starts driving. "You can play some music if you want" he says handing me his phone. "Okay" I say. I turn it on and see a photo of him and Sabrina set as his background. "Oh wait is that your girlfriend? I saw her with you in your room last night. Sorry. That sounds creepy" I laugh.

"Oh no that's my cousin" he says. "WHAT" I shout. "I'm kidding y/n" he laughs. "Oh- phew" I laugh. I go into Spotify and see his recently play is Taylor. "HA I KNEW YOU WERE A SECRET TAYLOR STAN" I scream. "DUDE THAT WAS MY SISTER I SWEAR" he screams back. "Sureeee" I say smiling. "I swear" he says with his cheeks going red.

"PLEASEEE STOP LYING TO ME YOURE BLUSHING" I scream with excitement. "OKAY OKAY FINE YOU GOT ME" He shouts looking at me. "Dude watch the road" I say. "Right" He says turning back to face the road. I giggle to myself and start to play Taylor.

We drive for the next twenty minutes while I'm screaming the lyrics and I can't help but notice Noah singing along quietly too.

"Okay we're here" Noah says stopping the car and hopping out. I get out and we walk along the beach. The breeze is blowing my hair into my face and Noah keeps laughing at me. "Hey it's not funny, I can't see anything!" I say defensively.

We continue walking along the beach, trying to learn everything about each other for about an hour until we reach a small boardwalk. "They have sick ice cream here, wanna get some?" Noah asks me pointing to a small dainty ice cream shop on the boardwalk. "Um is that even a question?" I laugh as we run up to the shop.

We come out with our cones and sit down on the end of the boardwalk, our feet dangling from the ledge. We sit down eating happily watching the waves crash beneath our feet.

After we're finished we walk back and we head to Noah's car. We go back to screaming Taylor songs until we reach the neighborhood.

Noah stops the car and I hop out. He gets out to and we walk up to my house. "Wanna come in?" I ask him. "Sure. Oh wait- I forgot I gotta meet brina tonight, maybe another time?" He says. "Sure that's no problem. See you later Noah" I say. "Bye y/n" he says smiling before we go our separate ways into our houses.

"MOM IM HOME" I shout. "Oh hey honey, did you have a good time?" She asks me, walking out of the kitchen . "Yup" I reply. "That's great, well come down in about an hour for dinner" she says. "Okay" I say before heading back upstairs.

"Hey peps" I say outside of her door. "Hey" she replies. I walk into my room and tidy it since it looks like a bomb went off in it even though it's only been two days-

A couple of hours later and it's 10pm. I'm downstairs in the living room watching Spider-Man Homecoming with Pepper. "Sooo how was it with Noah?" She asks me. "It was fun, we went to the beach and I found out he has a massive Taylor Swift obsession" I laugh. "It's like you two are meant to be" she says smiling while rolling her eyes.

"Yeah right, he has a girlfriend and I don't even like him like that" I say. "Ugh of course he's gotta girlfriend, I mean look at him-" she says as she turns back to the TV watching Peter hold Liz up from the elevator shaft. "Yeah...." I say sighing.

After the movie I walk back into my room. I look over at the window and see Noah on his bed laying down. He looks like he's crying. Oh shit- do I say something? I ask myself. I decide to knock on my window to get his attention quietly.

He looks up and rubs his eyes quickly.

I hold up my notebook "You ok?".