Chapter 17- Probably not a Problem

They were lost.

        It wasn’t even a question anymore. It was a solid, indisputable fact that Cierra, the woman, and the little robot were totally, undoubtably, and hopelessly lost. The robot, who had introduced himself as Wheatley, tried endless amounts of times to assure the two humans in his “care” that he knew exactly where they were going, they knew much better.

        To be completely honest, Cierra was surprised that they were still alive. Wheatley’s escape plan was far from thought out, and required escaping a room full of turrets, bribery, and as a grand finale, the entire facility crumbling behind them. After they had made it to the lift that he had led them to, she had figured that they were safe in some regard.

        She leaned against the side of the lift as it ascended. The woman glanced at her, an exasperated look on her face. She pointed to her and tilted her head, as if asking who she was. 

        “I’m Cierra,” She said, smiling. “And don’t be freaked out by this, but I know that your name is Chell.”

        Chell’s face was confused a moment, but then she nodded and shrugged as if to say “No big.”

        The lift shuddered to a halt and they both stood up, Chell dusting herself off. Beyond it was a small room coated in what appeared to be white paint. A circular door was positioned at the far end of it, a glowing green circle where she supposed the lock would have been. It slid open when they approached it, which led them to a room that appeared to be exactly the same. Chell rolled her eyes and approached the next door, which opened halfway, sparked, and then stopped. With a sigh, Chell aimed the gun at the wall and fired, opening a swirling blue vortex. Cierra stared at it, watching the interior pulsate and flow. Chell fired again through the opening in the broken door, which cause an orange vortex to open on the other side, creating a portal. Chell hopped through and motioned for Cierra to follow. Hesitating for a few seconds, Cierra obeyed. 

        The corridor that followed was not another replica, but instead an entryway to another series of walkways, much like the ones that they just escaped through. Wheatley appeared overhead, blue optic shining brightly. 

        “Ah! Brilliant!” He exclaimed. “You made it through. Well done.”

        Cierra noticed Chell rolling her eyes as they followed him down the catwalk. Wheatley was attached to a management rail above them, which appeared to have direct routes to many areas of the facility.

        Quite convenient.

        “C’mon,” He continued. “We’ve got some work to do.”

        ***

        Cierra breathed heavily, leaning against the wall for support. For the past hour, they had been running around the facility, trying to sabotage everything they could to prevent GLaDOS from killing them when they confront her. They’d already broken all of her turrets, so next up on the list was to disable the neurotoxin supply. Wheatley had assured them that he knew exactly what he was doing, but both Cierra and Chell had their doubts.

        Contrary to their suspicions, a few minutes later they stepped onto a pathway overlooking the central neurotoxin supply room. It was a tangle of tubes and huge metal storage containers, all looping back to connect with the central generator. A mischievous grin spread across Chell’s face as she saw the scene, whereas Cierra’s was more surprised than anything. 

        “Ahah!” Exclaimed Wheatley. “I knew we were going the right way!”

        Chell rolled her eyes, walking down the extended catwalk.