Chapter 19- Ashes to Ashes

Another short chapter since I haven't updated in a long while. 

        Isaac wasn’t quite sure when the ringing in his ears began. Nor was he sure exactly when the ringing morphed into a stabbing pain in his temple. He didn’t recall exactly when the world faded to an inky black. He didn’t recall ever waking up.

        Most likely because he hadn’t yet.

        As Isaac slept undisturbed amongst the raging warfare outside of his own little world, an idea began to take shape in the dark recesses of his mind. It was dim and faded for awhile, slowly becoming less fuzzy as time ticked by. It was then that this idea came into a light and became a dream. In this dream, Isaac recalled his birthday. He stood adjacent from the table adorned with various decorations, a large cake positioned right in front of him. Eleven sparkling candles shone in the dimly lit room, bouncing off of his glasses and casting reflections onto the walls. Cierra stood to his left, as well as Bethany and Jordan to his right. They all wore joyous expressions on their faces, chanting to the tune of ‘happy birthday.’ When the song came to a close, Isaac closed his eyes, made a wish, and blew out the candles.

        The fire went out, sending frenzied trails of smoke drifting towards the ceiling. Clapping erupted form the room as relatives and friends alike celebrated the occasion, his siblings encasing him in a tight hug. He grinned and laughed along with the crowd, anxiously awaiting the first slice of cake to be served.

        The image began to fade, leaving the semiconscious Isaac to contemplate it. Just before he woke, he came to the conclusion that the dream was not about birthdays, nor cake, nor simple celebration. It was about the thing that he treasured and missed so dearly, the very thing he fought to return to.

        Isaac dreamt of family.

***

        “Kid…” Said a voice softly. “Hey kid, wake up.”

        Isaac groggily lifted his head, the world blurred and doubled. He could make out Nick’s face among the mess, and he offered a weak smile to reassure him that he was alive.

        “Rochelle!” Nick called. “He’s up.”

        Rochelle exhaled shakily. “Good. Thought he was done for.”

        “Zombie bites don’t always kill ya,” Ellis pointed out. “They just infect ya. Hurts like heck for a couple’a hours an’ then you-“

        Nick shushed him. “Ellis,” He said, looking at him dangerously. “Not now.”

        Ellis shrugged, sitting down against the walls of the latest safehouse.

        It was then that Isaac noticed that he was not in the middle of the street as he was when he had first drifted into the realm of the unconscious, but inside a much more decayed safehouse. The building appeared to be made of crumbling concrete, threatening to shatter into dust at a singe disturbance. But by the confidence in which the rest of the team leaned on the structure, he assumed it to be safe.

        Well, as safe as you could get in an apocalypse.

        Isaac tried to sit up, but was met with Rochelle’s disapproving hand pushing him back down and a sharp pain rocketing through him. He almost cried out, but bit his tongue. Rochelle nodded grimly.

        “Like Ellis said,” She told him. “It’s going to hurt.”

        Iaaac grimaced. “When will it… Go away?”

        Rochelle glanced at Nick for support. Nick hesitated, thinking over his words carefully. “Yes…” Isaac became hopeful for a moment. “…And no.” His heart sank.

        “What do you mean?”

        Nick frowned, shaking his head. “The Infection- The Green Flu- takes over its host. You’ll…” He sighed. “You’re be like them.”

        The world seemed to freeze around Isaac. For him, this meant two things. 1- He was going to die. And 2- He would never see his family again.

        The dream seemed father away than ever.

        Coach noticed his solemn demeanor. “I’m sorry,” He offered as a comfort. It didn’t do much to calm Isaac, but he nodded regardless.

        He glanced down at where the Smoker had bit him, where his usually light skin was slowly turning to a clammy, decaying grey. The bite mark itself was outlined in red, whether from blood or irritation he didn’t know nor care to find out. A small, tentacle-like thing extended from the wound, looping around his hand and forming almost rounded indentations in his skin. It only travelled up to just below his elbow, but it was enough to frighten him extensively.

        He reached a hand to his face, where he discovered that the skin around his left eye was rough and thickened in places. Small welts were scattered around, obscuring his vision to some degree.

        Isaac was in too much shock and panic and fear to fully contemplate his situation. He leaned back down, his head striking the floor. It hurt, to some lesser degree, but at this point it was as if you were poking someone who has been doused in acid with a needle. It could not even compare to the pain he was already experiencing.

        “Try to get some more rest,” Rochelle urged. “It seems to slow the infection. In the meantime, we’ll…” Her voice faltered and she sighed. “W-we’ll see what we can do.”

        Isaac didn’t respond. Darkness threatened to overtake him again, and he was not really in the mood to argue. The last emotion to cross his mind before he faded was determination.

        He was going to get through this.

        He was going to survive.

        And in the end, he was going to see his family again.