Chapter 18- Alliance

The sun breached the upper reaches of the sky, illuminating the forest with little shadows to obscure the dense collective of trees. A few sheep and cows were milling about the landscape, casually prancing from here to there and enjoying the relative absence of threats. One of the sheep bleated a quick greeting to a cow that was walking by, who offered a quick nod in response. The two passed each other without an issue.

Steve and his slightly younger companion Bry were the next pair to cross through the area. Though there journey was not a casual jaunt through the woods that most people had the mind to avoid, but rather what Bry liked to refer to as a 'scouting mission.' He always liked to make things appear large and official, no matter the circumstance. For instance, Steve once was woken up by a crash in the kitchen, where Bry had managed to break the the iron door on the refrigerator that they had built by forcing it open when he claimed that the button was broken. He said that he was "forced to preform a manual override of the broken machine." Steve had just rolled his eyes and went back to sleep, making a mental note to swap it to a lever in the morning when he fixed it.

The wind was blowing calmly through the woods, the currents weaving through the threes and dancing through the flowers littering the forest floor. Steve glanced around with an intent gaze, searching for the landing site of what had been dubbed by Bry as the 'resonance cascade.' Again, his flare for theatrics fully showing with the naming. Steve marveled at his extensive imagination, but worried for him constantly. It wasn't healthy, the endeavors that he attempted. Such as his recent project, a potion that will allow for all the effects simultaneously. He had been working on it for quite some time, and had had some success. Steve feared for the eventual result, as it could have some unintended side effects.

He shook his head in an attempt to clear it. It would be wise to stay on task. If his suspicions proved correct, then they were almost there. He could only wonder what they would find.

None of the possibilities that he came up with were even close to the truth.

***

Silence. Like darkness, it does not love or hate. Live or die. Sleep nor wake. It is simply the absence of a different kind of perception- that of sound. Despite this, it can still be deafening.

Bethany Frye found herself trapped in the middle of this deafening silence.

For about a minute before she worked up the courage to open her eyes, she could do everything but see or hear. There were no sounds to disturb her as she lay in the crater that the impact had created, besides the endless onslaught of her thoughts. They in themselves were deafening, and in some ways exceedingly painful. She worried for her siblings, Isaac in particular. She knew that the others were in Realms like she was, but Isaac's fate was unknown. Unless they relied on the word of Jimmy Casket, which was not the most trustworthy source in the world, they had no idea where he was.

She shook her head, surprised at the fact that she could. She was immensely dizzy, so she didn't risk standing up just yet. Seeing would be enough for now.

She felt her eyes open and was immediately met with a blinding light. She blinked, extending a hand in an attempt to block it out. Once her vision cleared, she realized that 'block' may actually be in the literal sense. Her hand was replaced with an elongated rectangular prism, clad in a black and purple sleeve. Her eyes widened and she stood up, finally getting a good look at their surroundings. Blocky trees and cubed mountains extended as far as her pixelated eyes could see, the brilliant square of light that was the sun drifting lazily across the clear, blue sky.

She saved herself the cliche freakout and just figured out that she was in Minecraft.

Bethany was not in fact surprised, having already been inside Gmod. Unaware of the figure behind her, she turned around...

...And was immediately met with the face of a sheep.

"Baa," It bleated as a way of greeting.

Bethany jumped back, but then regained her footing. "Uh, hello...?" She said uncertainly.

The sheep nodded and continued on its merry way.

Well. Odd thing number one. About infinity to go.

With a slight frown, Bethany continued walking nowhere in particular. She noticed that she was wearing her Minecraft skin's outfit- the black and purple creeper hoodie, boots, and headphones. Jordan had dubbed this the "Emo Bethany Outfit."

There was suddenly a shout that interrupted the peaceful morning, startling Bethany out of the monotonous walk that she had become fast accustomed to. She paused, glanced around, then shook her head and continued. When another shout was heard, she was not able to believe the explanation of a cow anymore. She slowed her speed to a halt, nervous eyes scanning the treeline.

A few noises began growing louder as footsteps could be heard in the distance. Bethany jumped and leapt behind a fallen branch, that had taken a cube-shaped form. Physics, it appeared, were almost nonexistent in Minecraft. As she waited in suspended anticipation, two figures walked into her field of vision.

The first was tall, with bright blue eyes and, currently, a very annoyed expression on his tanned face. His brown hair was tossed, hanging into his eyes. His companion, who was slightly shorter and appeared younger by a very small margin, trotted along behind him. Every now and again he would slash his sword at nothing, miming attacks and parries. His hair was longer and shaggier, falling into his slightly lighter blue eyes. He was more clean shaven than his older friend, but also was a bit more lanky.

"Sooo," Said the second one, appearing bored. "At what point do we just decide it was nothing and go home?"

"A huge vortex in the sky is not 'nothing,' Bry." The first muttered. "Maybe in a couple minutes."

Bry uttered an exaggerated sigh of relief and swung his sword again, this time losing his balance and releasing the blade. It soared the ten feet necessary to reach Bethany's hiding spot, arcing and then embedding itself inside the bush.

"OW!" Cried Bethany in pain.

Both Bry and the unnamed other stopped immediately, their eyes traveling to the origin of the exclamation. They glanced at each other, silent words flitting in between them, and then broke into a run.

They arrived at the bush in only moments, parting the clusters of leaves to see none other than Bethany sitting amongst them. She cradled her bleeding left arm in one hand, staring up at them. She moved a few inches backwards, but the taller one extended a hand to help her up. Bethany hesitated, but then cautiously took it with her good hand.

"Hello," He said with a smile that put Bethany immediately at ease. "I'm Steve. This is my idiot brother, Bry. He's the one that hurt you."

Bry also extended a hand. "Yeah... Sorry 'bout that. My mistake. Honest."

Bethany opened her mouth as if to reply, but he continued.

"I didn't mean to throw the sword," He clarified. "I lost grip of it. Just so we're clear here."

Steve rolled his eyes. "Ignore him. I do."

Bry glared in silent protest.

Bethany suppressed a laugh. "I'm Bethany. Nice to meet you both."

Steve nodded. "Did you see a large vortex in the sky earlier?" He asked.

"Just out of curiosity," Bry added. "We're not insane or anything."

Bethany paused a moment, contemplating how to respond. "Sort of..." She began. "W-Yeah. I did see it."

Steve's eyes lit up. "Really? Where?"

She coughed. "Well..."

Four eyes stared at her expectantly.

"I was the reason it was here."

There was approximately three seconds of bewildered silence before chaos ensued once more.