Chapter 32- Thin Ice

"TOAST!" The resounding call of Johnny Toast's name seemed to come from all directions as he shakily put his gun down. There was a momentary pause before he was recognized, as he did not look the same as he did prior to his death.

Instead of his dusty climbing gear, Toast now sported a white dress shirt with a folded collar, as well as a black vest that contained a wristwatch that had its chain hanging out of the interior pocket. He also wore sleek black dress pants with a belt, which appeared to have been ironed. He was certainly more clean-shaven than before, and the rope and pickaxe had disappeared. A few specks of golden... dust? Still lingered around his hands as he shakily clutched the pistol.

"Toast!!" Cierra exclaimed, running up to him with the other three. "How're you... Why do you look different?"

"You were... gone..." He stammered, putting the gun away with a stunned expression on his face. "Casket... Killed me. I was... Technically dead for quite awhile."

"Then how are you alive?!" Asked Bethany.

"Part Time Lord," He replied slowly. "That's how I never stay dead, no matter how many times I die on missions. Ghost doesn't know. My appearance usually doesn't change, but... This time I guess it did."

"I thought you could just respawn," Isaac pointed out.

Toast shook his head. "Unlike you, we're not players. We die, we die for good. The entirely of the Acachalla Family has some Time Lord in their blood, which is why their influence extends across Realms and time periods. Think about it: Maxwell Acachalla existed in the old west, yet he's Papa Acahcalla's younger cousin."

"That makes sense..." Jordan said. "I always kind of thought about that."

Toast sank to his knees in from of Casket's body. "Ghost was still in there," He stuttered, tears streaming from his eyes.

In moments, Casket's features began to fade, replaces by Ghost's. His hair lightened, and he grew slightly taller. The jacket's logo shifted to the PIE symbol, and the bloodstains vanished. To everyone's surprise, his eyes fluttered open.

"GHOST!" Toast cried joyously, hugging him tightly. "I swear I thought you were dead!"

"I could say the same for you!" Ghost chuckled, cringing. "I saw Casket kill you! And- ow. That really hurts."

"Sorry," Toast said, releasing with a grin. "And I guess you could say that I've got a few tricks up my sleeve."

Ghost frowned. "What?"

Toast shrugged. "Long story. I shot you! How are you alive?"

Jordan searched through his thought, recalling how Isaac was revived. Any sort of odd quirk of Gmod that might save a character... Wait. Casket was turned into a player... So it wasn't a possession per se...

"Wait!" Jordan suddenly shouted. "I know what happened! I know what happened!" Before anyone could ask him to elaborate, he launched into a speech. "Casket wanted full control, and since we control everything he got his wish when we got sent into the games. Er, realms. He didn't become all-powerful. He told us. He became a player like us. Players don't possess. Ghost, you became his playermodel. You weren't possessed anymore. Remember how you mentioned that you could restrain him sometimes when you were being possessed as long as you were awake when it happened? You could only talk as a voice inside his head. Like we voice whenever we choose you as our playermodel. When Toast shot you, Casket left. He's not a player anymore. You're once again a character."

There were a few moments of silence before Ghost spoke up. "That... Makes sense, actually."

Jordan grinned smugly.

"Agh, who cares, anyway!" Came Spencer's lisping voice. "Everyone lived! We won! Good prevailed, for goodness' sake. Let's get a cheer so I can get back to my Firefly marathon!"

"Goingtobeaveryshortmarathonbut Okay!" Shouted Jordan.

There were jumbles of joyous cheers as the VenturianTale Army celebrated their much-deserved victory. Maxwell tossed his hat into the air, followed by the firing of weaponry into the night sky.

"Wait! We need a name!" Spencer griped loudly. "This mayhem will not stand!"

Everyone paused. "How about the Tales?" Suggested Bethany.

"Yes!" Spencer called impatiently. "Let us hear if for the Tales! I'm out of here." He added the last part under his breath.

The cheering commenced once more, and eventually a chorus of "Long live the Tales! Long live the Tales!" joined in. It was at this moment that it seemed that the siblings' journey had reached an end, and the universe had righted itself once more. Everything appeared perfect, as good had prevailed over evil and nothing more was to be accomplished. To some, it may appear that everything was going a little too well. As I hope you've learned by now, this was simply the holding of a breath, the world in waiting for a stone to be thrown in its river.

The stone had been selected already.

All that was left was to find the one to throw it.

The Tales eventually dwindled in numbers, leaving the parking lot alone to the siblings and PIE. They were all smiling, Ghost leaning on Toast due to a broken leg that he'd gotten while Casket was controlling him.

"What do you say we head back? Overload something and send our young adventurers home." Ghost suggested.

"Sounds like a very good plan to me," Isaac said. "Wait- I'll be normal once we get out, right? Not a zombie?"

Ghost nodded. "Hopefully. Zombies don't exist in reality... Right?"

Isaac started to reply. "Well..."

"Nope," Jordan cut in with a grin. "Only in ants."

"Good," Said Toast. "Then you'll be just fine. Let's head off before it gets too chilly. I'll fix up some tea and we'll send you on home."

The six of them swiftly left the High School, crossing the deserted street and walking down sideawalks. "The van was destroyed in the fight," Toast told them. Ghost open his mouth, but Toast cut him off. "The quickest way back is through the park, and across the lake. It's frozen over currently, so it should be safe to cross."

"Alright," Said Isaac, absentmindedly trying to create a lasso with his smoker tongue thing.

They came across a park, half of which was occupied by a frozen lake. Trees dotted the area, and a few park benches lined a path that winded around the dense grass. A dock stood at the far and of the lake, ice coating the surface and glimmering in the moonlight.

"We cross here," Ghost said. "Tread lightly- it's thin. We should be okay, though. I was here a few weeks ago and it was fine."

They approached the lake, stepping on the ice cautiously. When none of it shattered, they figured it was safe. Casually they began to cross, with Toast taking the lead and Ghost trailing behind to make sure that none of the young adventurers accidentally took an unwanted detour. They were about halfway across when the first crack was heard. There was an abrupt yet short pause, but they continued despite it. It seemed far off to Toast, so he didn't deem it a concern. Then the second was heard. And the third and the fourth. By the time Toast and the others had whirled around, the crash had already been heard and Ghost had disappeared below the ice.

___

As we get warm

ice will get thin

 we'll become ghosts

together again

--Illuminate, chapter 7