Chapter 10- Falling into Place

Creepypasta High School was a quiet, grey building that was spread across a large campus. Most of the grounds was made up of concrete and dead grass, the odd magazine clipping or candid pieces of trash floating around in the wind. The city formed a large barrier on all sides, as if it was trying to avoid it.

And rightly so.

The rickety white van that pulled into the barren parking lot matched its surroundings, rumbling as the engine died. Smoke tumbled out of the tailpipe as it shuddered into one of the many available parking spots, lurching to and fro. The driver mumbled to himself as he slipped out of the van, his comrade as casual as could be. The three passengers in the back of the vehicle waited for the driver to open the exit before they got out one by one, standing on the crumbly pavement.

“It’s Saturday,” Said Johnny Toast, closing the back and starting toward the entrance of the school. “So the students shouldn’t be here. Normally I’d say that that would be better for you, but you apparently you already know all about them.”

“Yeah, we do.” Said Cierra.

The five of them passed the sign at the front gate, which read “Creepypasta High School.”

“Toast, lemme go fist. I’ve got the key.” Said Ghost, searching through the pocket of his jeans. “At least I think I- Wait nevermind. Here it is.” He fished a small key out of his pocket. He stepped forward and unlocked the door, letting all of them into the office.

“Thanks,” Said Bethany as Toast held the door open for them.

Toast smiled and nodded in response.

The office was a quaint little room, with red carpets and tan painted walls. Curtains ung from the windows, casting a slight shadow on the place. There was an empty receptionist’s desk that was coated in a thin layer of dust, as it had evidently not been used in a while. Ghost ran his hand across the desk, picked up as much dust as possible, and promptly blew it all over Toast’s face. Toast frowned, unamused.

They left the office and into the central courtyard, which was basically a large area that resembled a huge slab of sidewalk with buildings all around and above it. It wasn’t like any school that Jordan, Cierra, or Bethany had ever seen in real life, but they recognized it from the Creepypasta High School roleplays.

“This way,” Said Ghost. “There’s an entrance to the basement over here, which is where-”

“DUDE! GIVE ME BACK MY KNIFE!” Someone shouted, cutting Toast off.

Someone was in the classroom positioned directly above them, as there were footsteps and scuffling noises. Someone evidently tripped, because there was then an “agh!” and a large thump.

“Who’s there?” Ghost shouted, using the stern, almost angry-sounding voice that he rarely took advantage of.

“Shoot, Ghost’s here. Everyone scram!” Said another voice.

Ghost apparently recognized it. “JEFF EUGINE KILLER! GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!”

“You’re not the principal anymore!” Shouted a different voice in support. “You got fired last month!”

“I’m still a paranormal Investigator, Slender!” Shouted Ghost, crossing his arms. “I’ll send you to the 13th dimension if you don’t get down here right now!”

“Okayokayokay we’re coming!” The voice identified as Slender said hastily. “Wait, what are you do-AGH!”

The window above them shattered and Slender fell out of it, landing in a shrubbery a few feet away. He stood up and glared at his shorter companion Jeff, who was laughing his head off above him.