Chapter 49

____________________________________

Alcohol.

Alcohol is being knocked back like water in every corner of the house. The bottoms of shot glasses slam against the countertops completely emptied and red solo cups sway to the rhythm of the music blasting.

Kinsey paces down the unfamiliar hallway and peeks around the corner before impatiently slipping through the clusters of strangers. Some faces ring a bell but none are significant enough to interrupt her steady pace.

She couldn't name any one of these people even if her life depended on it. The somewhat familiar faces have only been seen in passing through the densely packed halls of Kingsman Bounty High School. Quick glimpses of people she never cared to learn about. In her final year, the people she's grown up with are still strangers.

Heat radiates from the mass of bodies concentrated in the living room. They grind and flail their bodies around to some Tyler the Creator song that sounds like it is about to turn the living room into a straight-up mosh pit in a few seconds. The floor vibrates as the mass of teenagers start hopping around, screeching out every lyric.

Through all the commotion, the blonde maintains her strides, slipping through one more group of people, unapologetically, tired of tip-toeing her way through this fucking maze of a home. I should've stayed my ass home.

She bumps into another group of girls, ignoring their groans and high-pitched "what the fucks?".

Her fast-moving legs charge for the bare wooden spiral staircase that faces her. Her limber, muscled legs take on two steps at a time with ease, causing the old wood to creak with each step. She reaches the second floor, finding that there are more people up here than she had expected.

Her eyes flicker around the wide circular space filled with even more clusters of people. Some in pairs, devouring each other's faces as if their mother hadn't taught them manners or common courtesy. Kinsey's peripheral catches sight of a string of saliva being transferred between a pair's lips. Tongues are visible. Kinsey mentally calculates the probability that many of these people may walk away with some sort of transmitted disease tonight. Her body coils at the sight of a guy in the far corner stuffing his tongue down his partner's throat, eliciting a very vocal gag response from her. Despite her nearly choking, they continue sloppily kissing away in their drunken state.

Kinsey side-eyes the image, visibly squinting her brows at their repulsiveness. The things people get away with when they're drunk.

The blonde tries to build up enough strength to pull herself away from the sight, but it holds her there for a second more as the odd attraction to the nauseating sight compels her to keep looking. After deciding that she's seen enough, she reverts to gazing around the rest of the second floor.