Chapter 23

____________________________________

Kinsey lays back, limbs sprawled across her bed as she stares up the plain white ceiling. Her thoughts jumbled with anger, confusion, and ultimately frustration as she dwells on all that had just transpired a few minutes ago.

Of course, she is worried about where Jade could have gone without a car but the thought is subdued as her selfishness takes the lead, allowing her to hold brewing anger for the brunette, or maybe just what she embodies. Something different. Something that Kinsey has never explored before. Uncharted territory of some sort.

She just can't handle the fact that the brunette keeps making her feel shit, and what's pissing her off is that she is unable to handle it. I think I have her one second and then the next she slaps me in the face, leaving me feeling embarrassed and stupid for even trying.

Her muddled thoughts are silenced by a subtle knock.

"Come in," Kinsey gruffly commands.

The blonde rapidly lifts her head upwards as the door becomes ajar. She spots the dirty blonde hair that teases the side of the door and drops her head back down dissatisfied with the result. Why did her heart race for that brief second, thinking it was the brunette coming back?

"Kins hon, we need to talk," Mrs. Scott begins as she starts towards the edge of Kinsey's bed.

"No, we don't," Kinsey counters, "There's nothing to talk about."

She refuses to look up at her mother as she finds it easier to maintain her focus on the boring white ceiling. At least until she starts to see the brunette's face in the ceiling as she reminisces. The blonde quickly blinks her eyes in annoyance to dissipate the visions. She's so fucked.

"Yes, there is something to talk about. Especially, when there is a sweet, shy girl that comes into my home and leaves a disheveled mess," Mrs. Scott starts, amplifying the intensity of her voice without raising it.

"Good idea. You should ask her about that, maybe then her story will make more sense to you than it does to me," Kinsey snaps, rolling her eyes.

The mother intensifies her focus on the teenager.

"What happened? I've never seen you this upset, over anyone?" Mrs. Scott pressures, brooding at her daughter.

The mother is utterly baffled by the way Kinsey is reacting to her friend leaving so suddenly. There is nothing to assume when it's already a rare occurrence for Kinsey to bring friends over.

Kinsey huffs, relaxing her tense expression into a solemn one. "I just don't fucking know. I don't want to talk right now, mom," Kinsey basically pleads, masking it in a cold, removed tone.