Chapter 18

____________________________________

"Okay, but I don't understand why you'd much rather spend time with her than me," Lucia insists as the two girls walk towards the football field since the final bell of the day rang a couple of minutes ago.

They reside next to one another as they stroll out of the wide-open double doors. Jade stalks beside the chatty blonde in her typical all-black attire and signature white-out painted skull backpack clinging on her shoulders, while Lucia maintains her bubbly persona with a short yellow latex skirt coupled with a cropped white shoulder-length shirt to coincide with the strict and unnecessarily sexist dress code the school tries to enforce.

"It's nothing personal, it's just for the project. You know how much I've been trying to avoid her the entire time I've been here. Why would that change now?" Jade says raising her brow at Lucia.

"I mean come on... I-I even offered to buy you food," Lucia starts in disbelief, obviously ignoring Jade's attempt at rationalizing with her. "Food, Jade. Food! Do you know how much that would mean to someone?" Lucia genuinely questions with exaggerated hand motions towards the brunette.

Jade glances over at Lucia and can't help but crack a smile, stifling her laughter with the back of her hand.

"Your actually insane," Jade chuckles out, eyeing the blonde that is a tad shorter than her.

"Yeah, well I'm lonely," Lucia concludes in a deflating tone as she crosses her arms childishly in disappointment.

"You don't have to tell me. I can smell the desperation off of you," Jade snarks as the girls approach the set of steel benches that make up one side of the vast football field.

Jade notices the blonde still on her tail as she starts trudging up the benches.

"You don't have to wait with me," Jade insists,  raising a brow at the strawberry blonde that decides to follow her up to the third row of benches.

"Since I have nothing to do now, I might as well wait with you. It's not bad having some eye candy when I'm feeling depressed after my friend decides to ditch me." Lucia plops down facing the field with her chin solemnly resting in her hand.

A look of 'what the actual fuck' consumes Jade as she observes the strawberry blonde feigning pity for herself. "You can't be serious," she seethes under her breath as she takes her own seat a few inches away from Lucia.

She looks up at the field after growing tired of staring at Lucia who is still trying to keep up the act.

The feet of clean-cut grass is not so green and tidy as when Jade first visited. She remembers the first time she came to this particular field a week ago. The only thing she remembers was lifting her head from her copy of The Immortalists to take a glance at the game that everyone around her seemed so infatuated with. Her eyes scanned the perfect freshly-cut grass before focusing on the player that was running at the speed of light, ultimately making a touchdown. The number 7 on the uniform was illuminated by the shining lights.