Chapter 14

____________________________________

The two finally arrive home. The car slowly creeps into the driveway of the modest home with only their father's vehicle in sight. The personally customized white Mercedes sedan rests along the brick-layered driveway.

Tension builds within Jade as she takes in the fact that her father is home. Since her parents are usually occupied and distracted by their own respective careers, they are rarely home so when at least one of them is, it brings excitement within the latchkey siblings. Only, instead of the expected relief and excitement, there is anxiety and apprehension.

Melanie pulls the key out, drowning out the faint rumbling of the engine. "This is fucked," Melanie says looking over at her younger sibling with downturned lips.

Jade sluggishly drops her head back against the seat, closing her eyes in annoyance at the situation. She proceeds to pull at the door handle before lazily rolling out of the seat and landing onto the driveway on her feet.

Melanie follows suit and both of the girls reluctantly make their way to the front door. The wavy brick walkway leads to the painted ivory door. The brass colored handle-set lock contains traces of dull fingerprint markings. The large semi-circular window that makes up the top portion of the door reveals the gorgeous chandelier that exhibits the hidden wealth of the family.

Melanie sticks the key into the lock and turns the knob, prompting a pop to sound from the opening of the door. She pulls at the extended handle as her thumb presses on the latch.

Melanie glances back at her sister before walking in some more. Jade follows suit and the girls hang by the door for a moment as they take their shoes off before stepping into the large living room of the house.

The expansive room contains a beige three-piece sectional smack in the middle with a hung-up flat-screen television facing it. A large intricate piece of Peruvian rug lies before the couch matching the overall theme. Various pictures of the family hang on the wall in simple beige-rim frames all around the house to keep a uniform look.

The polished living room looks more like a showcase than an actual "living" room since it's used very rarely. Jade's family barely spend any time together, so often times it's just her that uses the couch to watch TV when she's not in her room drowning in homework.

The same goes for the kitchen. The stainless steel theme of the kitchen that runs from the microwave hanging above the stove to the dishwasher right by the single basin sink. There is nothing on the counters and nothing in the cabinets. Only snacks that the girls eat besides the usual take out. Jade's father knows how to cook but neither parents take the time to ever cook a hot meal for their daughters so the kitchen is often void of anything that can actually be cooked with, which explains the peculiar purity of the kitchen space.