Chapter 17

____________________________________

A fit of shuffling goes on in the quaint, empty bathroom as the brunette pulls at the paper towel dispenser in rapidity. Each piece coming out with the rapid pull of her hand.

Jade wipes at the corners of her lips with the rough, recyclable paper towel. The harsh material grating against her lips, completely removing the film of lip balm she applied on earlier this morning.

The smell of vomit on her breath becomes nauseating, forcing her to pull out the unused plastic water bottle from the mesh side of her backpack. The plastic annoyingly crinkles as she desperately opens it, starting to drink at a normal pace.

An intermittency of gulps sound as Jade chugs down the water. The intensity of the drinking seems as if the brunette believes that its consumption will cleanse her. As if the water will infiltrate every bit of her soul and make it pure again.

Her eyes shut tightly with the wrinkles on her eyelids exhibiting her desperation until there is no more water left. Droplets of the liquid stick to the internal crevices of the water bottle as the brunette gradually brings the bottle down. She looks into the mirror to see her composed self. Her brunette locks in an organized mess while her eyes show no sign of sleep depravity or distress. Only if her external looks could represent how she truly feels on the inside.

She tosses the bottle into the trash, disregarding her usual need to recycle as she prepares to exit the bathroom and head-on with the rest of her day with so many thoughts pestering her mind.

________

"Ah, fuck."

Jade awkwardly and speedily grapples at the three books that have found their way in mid-air. Her faint grunts catch the attention of Lucia, the perky strawberry blonde who resides two bookshelves down.

"Hey, keep it down! Charlie might hear you," Lucia playfully yells across the library, giving a slight nod in the elderly man's direction. The older man with the thick gray mustache and beige hearing aid lounges in the office chair behind the front desk, taking a peaceful, oblivious slumber as the two girls run the library themselves.

Jade lends Lucia a weak smile as she holds the book she nearly dropped a few seconds ago. She wants to entertain Lucia and join in on the joke but too much is on her mind at the moment. The events from earlier in the morning never leaving her conscience.

Lucia eyes Jade in hesitant suspicion as the brunette simply huffs and goes back to stuffing the books onto the shelf. The strawberry blonde knows by now that no matter how annoying she may be, the brunette would usually entertain her antics so she can't help but question Jade's odd response.

"What's the problem?" Lucia states bluntly as she leans casually against the side of the shelf, crossing her arms and legs.

Jade doesn't even look up, allowing her loose locks to cover her face as she responds, "What are you talking about? I'm fine." She continues sorting the various books, concentrating on their spines to read their titles.