Chapter 20

____________________________________

The engine is cut off immediately as the blonde impatiently flicks the key out of the ignition. Her thinning patience showing in her face and the way she pulls at the door latch to step out of the car with no words uttered to the brunette.

Jade remains awkwardly seated in the car, anxious about what to do next. She is not oblivious, she knows that something is bothering Kinsey but she can't pinpoint what. She sits in the seat with her hands in her lap as if feigning innocence will help her feel less shitty right now.

Kinsey yanks open the back door on the driver's side to grab for her bags. The frustrated shuffling that goes on as she grabs at the bags stops suddenly.

"Are you just gonna sit there like a fucking statue? Get the fuck out of the car," Kinsey demands, rolling her eyes at the brunette's awkwardness before she slings her gym bag over her shoulder.

Jade only stiffens at the blonde's words, wanting to seem unaffected but in actuality, she wants to breakdown. Being yelled at in such an aggressive way has never sat well with Jade. It's always elicited a bout of anxiety that would leave her heart beating abnormally and her palms sweaty. A feeling she usually gets when she is around her mother.

"I-I'm sorry," Jade stutters as slides a strand of hair behind her ear as she pulls for the latch at the passenger side door.

She believes that she was able to fully conceal her weakness with a simple stutter, but the blonde observes much more.

She saw the way in which Jade basically flinched in reaction to her harsh words. The way in which the brunette took in a huge breath as if that was her way of stabilizing her emotions.

A flash of sympathy passes over Kinsey's face as she witnesses the vulnerabilities that Jade seems to always conceal by hiding behind dark clothing and books. Her heart aches at seeing how anxious she made the girl feel. She didn't mean to be mean and scary. That is just the way she finds it easier to express her feelings.

The brunette tensely stands by the passenger door with both backpack straps on her shoulders, waiting patiently for Kinsey to lead the way to the front door of her home.

Kinsey shuts and locks the doors with her car remote before glancing at Jade and nodding towards the front door. The brunette catches the signal and allows Kinsey to take the lead.

The silence of the fall afternoon allows for the birds to be heard chirping and the sound of the brick driveway screeching beneath the soles of the girls' shoes.

"My bad for yelling at you back there. I know I can be too much sometimes," Kinsey states offhandedly as she and Jade continue their walk toward the door.

Jade stills for a second, surprised at the apology that she would have never expected. She finds this as the perfect opportunity to maintain her dignified front after her walls came crumbling down a few minutes ago.