Chapter 35

____________________________________

Today is Friday. Just another day of the week.

But to Jade, today feels a little different as her eyelids suddenly flush open with her body feeling less heavier than usual. As she takes in her surroundings with her traveling eyes, she lulls her arm out to immediately tap the screen of her phone with her index finger to shut off the obnoxious alarm.

The rest of her body slowly activates, seeming to be shot with a random boost of energy and an unfamiliar optimism about the day ahead. The feeling is foreign but it's a feeling that she doesn't mind much.

Jade's overall mood has become lighter than usual within the last week, with her feeling less apathetic about life. Coincidentally, or not, within the past week, she and Kinsey have been spending more and more time together. Of course, this was only because they have been trying to get the project completed as soon as possible.

You could say that the two have gotten closer in such a short amount of time, but to be honest, what was time to them. They are the same girls that ended up kissing the second time they were close enough to breathe the same air.

The last week consisted of random calls and text messages, mostly coming from Kinsey, who complained that she was simply bored every time she contacted the brunette. Jade didn't buy that excuse at all knowing just how busy Kinsey is with football, but despite acting like she hated every second of conversation with the blonde, she didn't even try to voice her skepticisms.

Even though the two just ended up bickering a majority of the time, the girls eventually got to talking about the simple things. For example, how Kinsey used to eat bugs when she was in the first grade and how Jade didn't know how to tie her shoes until she was in the fourth grade.

The simple things.

The random conversations gave them the ability to just be themselves and it also served as a distraction from the shit that was going on in their own worlds.

It distracted Kinsey from her continued struggle with keeping up with football and raising her grades, while it distracted Jade from her struggle of maintaining sanity with the increased secrecy of her father and how silent her family has been about it. The man would literally walk through the front doors of the house in the middle of the night, almost every night, with his suit a tousled mess and very careful tip-toed steps, almost as if he was trying to sneak into his own home. The rest of her family had to know about this by now but no attention was brought to it. It was as if everyone decided to turn a cold shoulder to it and that annoyed Jade the most as it seemed their household became even colder.

That's why a part of Jade always looked forward to the random calls and texts. It got her mind off things. Talking and hanging out with Kinsey almost every day within the past week let her forget about everything fucked in her life for an hour or two.