Chapter 8

____________________________________

The blinding light switches off after a few seconds, leaving the street lamp as their primary light source. The wild, heavy breathing expels from the girls in the car. Both are too panicked to say a word, as they descend from the recent high. It feels so beautiful, magical even, how they felt about that kiss, but reality quickly dissipates whatever they had in those few seconds. Reality is the present. Now they have to face whoever witnessed what they had just done.

Jade sits in the passenger seat stiffer than an iron board. The various possibilities vortex through her mind. Could it be her sister? Her mother? A complete stranger? She is aware of what just happened, but she is more concerned with what other people would think. What would her mother think?

The blonde remains frozen in her seat, facing the ivory garage door that the car is parked in front of. The only indication that she is alive is her chest heaving up and down, while a wave of regret storms through her mind. Her hands then grip around the leather steering wheel, causing her knuckles to turn a shade of pure white. She begins to mentally scold herself for giving into the temptation. She questions if it was worth it for just a few seconds of instant gratification and relief.

The engine of the vehicle behind them, shuts down and the sound of a door slamming makes Jade flinch in her seat. Jade recognizes the brunette stalking towards them as she glances at the side mirror of the passenger side door.

Melanie bends down to be at eye-level with her sister in the car. She spares a puzzled glance at the blonde stranger. Melanie goes through her mental library of faces and can't seem to find the blonde. She is not anyone she has seen around Jade

The elder is faced with her younger sibling's profile as she returns her attention to the anxious brunette. Jade's belief is that if she doesn't move, her sister will pretend that she wasn't just sucking the face of another girl just moments prior.

This incorrect assumption leads Melanie to tap her index finger on the partially tinted windows. "I can still see you," Melanie announces, obnoxiously, as she continues to tap on the window.

Jade gives up her childish scheme and turns to face her sister while pressing the button to put down the window. Uneasiness is visibly represented through the fidgeting of her fingers in her lap. Her head remains down, waiting for her sister's harsh judgement.

"So, whose your little friend?" Melanie questions as she leans both arms on the currently windowless door. Her face, arrogantly sits on her arms as she smiles widely at the two terrified girls.

"We're not friends!" They both squawk simultaneously. In shock at their unplanned unison, they immediately stare at each other before speedily putting their heads down, intimidated by the eye contact.