Chapter 28

____________________________________

Jade rolls over in her bed, groggily as she awakes from her second nap of the day. The brunette has grown tired of sleeping. A feat no human could ever think of achieving but Jade Hill has accomplished it.

The darkness of the room created by the wavering olive green curtains symbolizes the loneliness and isolation that she feels. Her body has become one with the memory foam mattress, making her groan at the idea of actually getting up.

Jade rolls over to the nightstand to press the flat, circular button at the bottom of her phone. The screen lights up before her, burning her retinas briefly before they find a way to adjust. The time indicates that it's only a quarter to two. Something she didn't expect when it feels like she's been asleep for an entire day.

Despite her fatiguing condition, Jade considers her sleep to have been a partial success as she finds herself more numb to the memories. They continue to pain her emotionally, but do not overtake her enough to elicit a visceral, or physical response.

Her stomach grumbles, serving as motivation for her to get up and eat something. The rumbling progressively increasing in magnitude after having been ignored for the past couple of hours as the brunette slipped in and out of sleep.

Jade goes to lift herself from the bed, but she suddenly feels the fatigue in her arms as they barely hold enough strength to carry her body up. Each motion seems crucial in preventing her from falling back onto the bed.

Her weak legs slide out from under the covers to meet the outside world. A breeze washes over her warm legs due to the really short plaid black pajama shorts she has on. Her feet land on the carpeted flooring, toes wiggling as they adjust to the new surface.

She ultimately pushes herself upright and grabs her phone, walking out of the bedroom into the empty household.

As she strides out of the long hall, she finds her brunette sibling in the kitchen chopping up vegetables. She tries to reduce the sounds of shuffling caused by her socks but Melanie is already aware of the sudden change in the atmosphere. She can literally smell the anxiety radiating off of Jade's body. Her head snaps up to find a hesitant Jade.

"She's finally risen from the dead!" Melanie exclaims at the sight of her sister. A smile stretching from cheek to cheek as her eyes light up.

Jade blinks slowly at her sister, unimpressed by her enthusiasm. "Not yet, my grave is still wide open if I ever change my mind," Jade adds in a low tone, finding herself still out of it.

The younger sister groggily stalks up to the kitchen bar to take a seat in the same chair her mother was sat in when she crushed her daughter's heart for the nth time. Nth meaning that it's happened too many times to keep count of.