Chapter 24

"Angel, I went gentle. Why are your legs now weak?" My head turned to Dante with a glare. He went HARD. I was exhausted but he wanted to "reward" me even more. I rolled my eyes at him and then walked into the bathroom to get ready.

....

"Capo" The whole table turned to the dining room door where Matteo stood with a serious face.

We were sat in the dining room as usual eating breakfast. Silently. Something happened while I was getting ready in the bathroom because Dante had a frown on his face the whole time.

Dante pulled his chair back and walked out with Alessandro as they discussed something in hushed voices.

I turned back to the table where Toni and Alonzo laughed to each other quietly. 

"What's so funny Alonzo?" I turned to them with a small smile. I wanted to get to know the family a bit more. Right now I only knew Kieandra and I was getting close to their mom.

"Nothing cognata. We-" They were stopped by Dante calling all of the men to the study room. Dante glanced at me with a curt nod and then left with the others.

"They didn't even get to eat properly" Mom spoke. I just realised that since I have been here I didn't know her real name.

"Mom, what's your name?" I asked cautiously. I didn't want to sound rude. I was curious.

A chuckle left her mouth. "In Italy I am known as Sieana but in Seattle I am known as Sara." I nodded still a little confused.

"Why both names?" I questioned. This conversation interested me.

She let out a large sigh. I could tell she was debating on telling me or not.

"You don't have to"I started. I didn't want to pressure her.

"No dear, you're family now. I trust to tell you" She smiled at me before she took my hand and squeezed it.

"When I was 15 I was betrothed to the Russian Mafia leader - Pavlo Nika." She paused. I could tell this was a touchy subject for her. The name sounded familiar. I knew many mafia leaders. My father often did talk about them. He was apart of the Spanish Mafia but always wanted to stick his nose into other Mafias.

She continued. "I was a loud, independent, stubborn 15 years old." She chuckled to herself. "I always did what I wanted, always did what my heart desired. My family hated it. They hated the fact that I was not quiet. The hated the fact that I refused to get married and be a part of the Mafia."

She was similar to me. I was independent. I had a job. I had friends. I had a life. 

"They wanted to make the Italian and Russian family stronger. More power. That's all they cared about. They set the wedding date when I was 16 and I refused. I had made a big mistake. I had got myself pregnant at 16 from the Mafia Leader of Rome." She shut her eyes tightly. I squeezed her hand for comfort.

"I begged him to marry me and save me from getting married to Palvo. He didn't listen. That time he had just become the leader and didn't want to get married or have a kid. I cried. For days. I wanted to escape and keep my child safe."

She was starting to struggle to breathe. I felt bile in my throat. 

"I ran away. On the streets. Alone. In the dark. With no one. I was scared." A tear rolled down her eyes. 

"I was harassed. A lot. Nearly raped. Nearly lost the baby." My heart broke while I listened to her. She was always laughing and happy. Never like this.

"I ran far. I travelled to Rome. I stole money. Stole guns. Stole to save myself and the baby inside of me. I went up to Julio Uberto Rosolo - The mafia leader of Rome." Rososlo. Dante's Father.