Chapter 27

and my eyes shut tight..

....

My body against a familiar soft fabric. My head pounding. My lower half numb. 

I squeezed my eyes tightly as the throbbing in my head increased. A whimper in pain left my mouth. My eyes still closed.

The movement of someone forced me to open my eyes to my surroundings. There stood Kieandra, Mom, A woman dressed in a doctor uniform. I turned my head to the left to see no other than my husband, Dante.

Everyone stared at me with concern present which made me frown at the lack of memory. My eyes shifted to Dante who had been staring at me the whole time. "How are you feeling now?" 

Mine and my husbands short eye contact broke as my eyes shifted to my sister in law who sat at the edge of the bed.

A weak smile stretched onto my face. How was I feeling? Numb? Tired? Angry? What even happened?

"W-what" I tried speaking but the pounding in my head made me shriek in surprise. "Aah" My hand went up to the top of my head as I pressed it down. 

"come sta ora?" Dante spoke for the first time since I had woken up. (how is she now?)

"Le chiederò come si sente, ma in questo momento mi aspettavo che avesse mal di testa a causa dello stress." The doctor spoke in fluent italian. (I will ask her how she is feeling but right now I expected her to have a headache because of stress.)

The woman walked up to me as her hands reached out to check my eyes. "Come ti senti?"( how are you feeling?)

My eyes furrowed at the unknown language. "lei non parla italiano" (she doesnt speak italian) Dante spoke to the doctor which I didn't understand. The doctor nodded and then spoke English.

"How are you feeling now?" The doctor looked down at me. My throat itched in discomfort which made me let out a cough. 

"I have a headache" I struggled to let out. I was going to ask what happened but the doctor interrupted. "I expected you to have a headache. I advice you to not stress and have some bed rest to rest you thigh and your head. You hit the floor hard." She spoke as she assessed my thigh again.

"What happened?" I still struggled to remember and it was making my head hurt more. 

The doctor was about to answer but Dante interrupted him. "Tutti, compreso il dottore, escono, ha bisogno di riposare e tu puoi incontrarla quando si sente meglio." (everyone get out including the doctor and let her rest. You can ask about her when she feels better) Dante's stern and emotionless voice returned as everyone turned to leave. I watched in confusion as the door closed to only me and Dante left in the room.

I watched as Dante locked the door and then walked to the bed. He stared at my face before looking down at my exposed leg.

"What happened?" I asked this time again to Dante as he didn't answer earlier. 

"You wanted a punishment and it led you to bed rest" Dante shrugged before putting his hands into his pockets and staring me down.

My eyes shifted away from him as I remembered Dante carving something on my thigh. My eyes shifted to my thigh which was wrapped around a white bandage. I lifted my right hand towards the bandage which made Dante tut in disagreement. 

"The knife went deep and you had to get stitches" Dante explained as my eyes met his again. This time he took  his hands out of his pocket and took a seat next to me on the edge of the bed. 

"It was that deep?" I asked. 

"I got a little carried away with my anger and hurt you more than I intended to" He spoke as his hands lifted to touch my thigh to which I lifted my thigh away. I gasped at the sudden numbness of my thigh which made Dante tut and me frown in pain.

"The doctor said it will take weeks to heal. She had to stitch a lot. She told you to get rest" He pointed out.

I paused for a second as I recalled what happened. "You should have left me to rot in the basement. I would have learnt my lesson." I spoke. I knew I was being stubborn right now but I didn't need Dante to act all sweet and take care of me.

Dante's eyes turned to my face from my thigh, "Why would I keep my wife down there to bleed?" He asked.

"Your wife" I scoffed. "You giving me a label doesn't actually make me your wife. This marriage was forced upon me. This marriage means nothing to me." I spoke. I was trying to prove my point. 

"You killed my father and now you are after the spanish mafia. You didn't do me a favor by getting married to me" 

Dante stared for a second before he let out a chuckle. "If I didn't marry you then the Spanish mafia boss would have forced you to get married to him. And trust me angel when I say this, He is 10 times worse than me. He wouldn't have spared you" The amusement in his voice rose as he spoke. 

"I would have preferred to be locked up and tortured than to get married to people like you" I spoke sternly.

"Trust me angel, You fainted from stress and lack of blood. You wouldn't have survived a day in the Spanish Mafia. You'd be just another whore who would have been thrown around for men to fuck whenever they like." He paused. "You'd just be another toy" He finished.

I stayed silent after that for a moment. I didn't know what to say. I knew the spanish mafia, my father spoke of them regularly, but I didn't really know them personally.

"Dante" I softlty called him, his eyes lifted away from my injured thigh and now onto my face. He hummed in response.

"Do you think we could get along?" I asked with an hesitant tone.His stare hardened and I could tell he was deep in thought. Dante stared for a moment and then let out a chuckle, "What is the real question you want to ask me?" His eyes stil connected to mine.

My eyes widened in surprise at the tone and expression he showed. How did Dante know I wanted something?

"I-uhm- I was thinking" My eyes moved from him to the wall behind him and then back to him "I was thinking to start working again" I finished off. I knew it was a dumb request and Dante would not agree but I wanted to know his response. His eyes still on mine, his expression remained the same and he just stared at me making me nervous of the response. I wanted to work again and help people, I wanted to feel a little bit more free and just a little happier.

"Get some rest" Dante got off of the bed and straightened his clothes before leaving the room before I could say anything in protest. A large sigh left my mouth in defeat. Will he let me? Will he shout? I was stuck in thought...