Chapter 11: Second Chances

Izuku stood outside the steel holding room door as his supervisor paced nervously up and down the carpeted hallway.

"Midoriya please try to be professional." The balding portly man said anxiously. "I know you don't have the best history with Miruko but she is still a pro-hero at the end of the day. Director Fujikawa will have our heads if the press gets wind of your umm...disagreements."

Izuku nodded and took in a deep breath as he placed his hand on the metal doorknob. "I will try sir, I just want this whole thing to be over with."

Izuku's supervisor nodded and began to walk away so as to give his subordinate some privacy. "Good man, I will be the only one watching the cameras so don't worry about anyone poking their nose into your personal life."

Giving his supervisor a grateful nod, Izuku waited until the older man had walked out of sight then opened the holding room door.

Stepping into the beige carpeted room, Izuku closed the door behind himself and inspected his surroundings. There was only the bare minimum in the room, two folding metal chairs and a plastic table between them. There were no windows, and in the upper corners of the room small security cameras constantly swiveled about recording everything they saw.

Then he finally turned his gaze to the lone figure sitting at the table.

Miruko was dressed in casual clothes consisting of blue jeans, a black hoodie, and custom fitted white running shoes. The second Izuku stepped into the room the pro-hero's rabbit ears perked up and she straightened up in her chair, clearly eager to discuss whatever was on her mind.

Sighing tiredly, the Izuku sat down in the metal chair opposite of Miruko and gave her an apathetic look.

"So here I am." The green-haired agent said coldly. "I thought I had made it pretty clear that I didn't want to talk to you. So this better be damn important."

Anticipating another screaming match, Izuku nearly fell out of his chair in surprise when Miruko simply nodded meekly.

"Well...I think it is important." The pro-hero said quietly as her eyes met Izuku's. "Midoriya, I know you hate my guts but I am just asking for you to listen to what I have to say." She was silent for a moment before continuing in a very subdued voice. "I just wanted to apologize for, y'know, everything."

Izuku glared suspiciously at the abnormally quiet woman in front of him and crossed his arms as he spoke. "Okay what is really going on here? Is this some kind of sick joke that you are pulling on me? What makes you think even for a second that I actually believe you?"

Leaning forward, Miruko glared back at the field agent as her voice took on an indignant tone. "Look Midoriya I am trying to apologize for what I did but you are being a real asshole about this. I know you think I am some kind of sicko that enjoys hurting people, but I am trying to change goddammit! Stop being such a dick and listen to me for once!"

Izuku rolled his eyes as he dismissively waved away Miruko's words. "You really expect me to believe you? My bet is that you are only doing this because your agent told you to. So you can take your apology and shove it, because there is no way in hell I am falling for such a stupid lie."

Izuku felt a small amount of satisfaction as Rumi snarled angrily and slammed her metal fist down on the table as she stood up.

"You are unbelievable!" She exclaimed loudly. "You have got to be the most hateful and petty person I have ever met! Here I am trying to make things right and you insist on treating me like shit! What do I have to do to make you believe me?!"

Izuku did flinch in the slightest at Rumi's outburst, crossing his arms defiantly and glaring at her with disgust. "Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not some cheesy movie about friendship and forgiveness. You treated me like I was dirt even after I did my best to work with you. I have had to put up with bullies like you my entire life, so I have no sympathy for you just because you suddenly realized how shitty of a person you are. Give me one good reason why I should believe a single word that comes out of your mouth."