Chapter 53: Might Makes Right

"Vengeance does not dull pain. It sustains it... Forever." - Celebrimbor, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumi gave Hawks an incredulous look as he finished explaining his plan to her.

"Are you fucking insane?!" Rumi said loudly in disbelief. "Hawks if you go through with this it is practically a death sentence! Did you even think about what would happen to the rest of us pro-heroes if you mess up?! Your mission is the perfect excuse the ministry is looking for to ban pro-heroes entirely!"

As the two heroes sat in Rumi's apartment, rain pelted against the windows as the sky took on a dull gray color. It seemed that the inclimate weather was going to stay for a while, as the weather channels all reported that the rain and storms would persist for at least another week.

Leaning forward, Hawks gave Rumi a pleading look with his gold-colored eyes. "That is why I am asking for your help! For this plan to work we need the best of the best, and that includes you. Out of all of us you know the Ministry of Defense best, from their tactics to their mindsets."

Rumi paused before shaking her head again. "I said I don't want anything to do with the ministry! This Zulu team sounds like bad news, and from what you are telling me I have a pretty good guess who the leader is."

Hawks paused. "Really? Who?"

Rumi snarled at the mere thought of the person she was thinking of. "Oscar, that guy that took Izuku away the last time we saw him. You don't know him like I do. The guy may seem like he is just a slimy creep, but he is much worse than that. Even Izuku called him a monster. That should be all the warning you need."

Hawks frowned as he stroked his goatee, the gears in his head obviously turning as he absorbed the new information. "Well that does make sense. If we could bypass Zulu team entirely and simply capture Oscar by himself that would make our job a lot easier. Any idea what he does on his time off?"

Rumi shook her head, causing her silver hair to sway slightly. "No clue, the guy is a ghost as far as I am concerned. The only time I see him is when he wants something with Izuku."

Leaning back in his metal folding chair, Hawks let out a heavy sigh. "Shit...so it sounds like our only choice is to bait out Zulu team if we want to catch him."

Rumi frowned and crossed her arms defiantly. "Not me, I am not getting involved with your suicide mission. I have better things to do than pick a fight with the entire Japanese government."

Hawks was silent for a few moments before giving Rumi an inquisitive stare. "You do realize that Oscar will probably know where Izuku is? I know for certain that you still have not given up on him."

Rumi snarled angrily and stood up, her muscles flexing as she barely restrained herself from punching Hawks in the mouth. "Don't you fucking dare use Izuku against me." She hissed venomously. "You are the entire reason we are in this situation in the first place. Yes, Izuku fucked up, but was it really necessary to talk to him like that? There are a dozen different ways you could have handled it, but you chose the most confrontational option."

Standing up, Hawks held up his hands placatingly. "Miruko you don't underst-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Rumi yelled angrily as pain filled her eyes. "You know what your problem is Hawks? You are so obsessed with getting results you never think about how it will affect the people around you!"

Hawks did not say anything, a hard look forming on his face as he stared at Rumi.

"So I take it your answer is still no?" He said quietly.