Chapter 24: Exceeding Expectations

Leaning against the wall of Rumi's training room, Izuku swiped through various reports and files on his phone as the rabbit hero pounded away on one of the heavy punching bags. It had been a few days since the visit to UA, and the two partners had kept themselves busy hunting down leads on PLF cells as well as taking part in Rumi's normal pro-hero duties.

Today was shaping up to be a slow day. Not much criminal activity was being reported, and there were no more leads to chase down regarding the PLF.

Out of the corner of his eye, Izuku could tell that Rumi was trying to sneak up on him while he was distracted with his phone. Pretending to not notice, Izuku had to suppress a grin as he waited for Rumi to strike.

Like a panther leaping towards its prey, Rumi jumped forward with a flying kick, clearly intending to knock Izuku off his feet.

Dropping his phone, Izuku ducked under the kick and went to draw his pistol, but was surprised when Rumi rebounded off the wall and tackled him to the ground. Determined not to go down without a fight, Izuku hooked one leg over his partner and used the movement to gain the top position.

The two wrestled on the floor for almost a full minute, neither of them able to gain the advantage over the other. Rumi had strength on her side, but Izuku had years of experience and technique under his belt.

After some struggling, Izuku finally was able to gain the upper hand and pin Rumi to the floor. Breathing heavily, Izuku kept an iron grip on Rumi's arms as he straddled her torso.

"Nice try." Izuku said between breaths. "But you are still sloppy. With your strength advantage you should be able to easily pin me."

Her chest rising and falling in time with her heavy breathing, Rumi grinned cheekily and flicked one of her rabbit ears against Izuku's face. "So you're the kind of guy who likes to be on top huh?"

It took a second for Izuku to understand the innuendo in Rumi's words, and upon realizing what kind of position he was in he quickly let go and stepped back while trying to keep a blush off his face. "S-shut up. You know that was for a reason."

Smiling knowingly, Rumi sat up and stretched her arms. "No need to be shy Izuku." She said flirtatiously. "Lots of girls like a guy who can take charge. No shame in knowing your preferences."

Frowning, Izuku stood up and offered his hand to Rumi. "You keep talking like that I am going to start thinking you actually mean what you say."

Taking Izuku's offered hand, Rumi pulled herself to her feet and gave him a wink. "What would you do if I did?"

Izuku was not sure how to respond, but was saved when his phone started to buzz loudly.

Picking his smartphone up off the floor, Izuku skimmed through the text and straightened out his suit jacket. "Looks like the analysts found something. Says we are needed to flush some rats out of hiding."

Izuku did not notice the look of disappointment on Rumi's face as she sighed irritably and walked over to the door of the training room. "Great, just when I thought we were going to have an easy day. Lemme get changed then we can go."

As Rumi left to shower and change into her hero outfit, Izuku walked out into the massive living room and read the details of what they needed to do. Apparently the intelligence division had narrowed down the number of possible PLF terrorists to a small list. Three of those individuals on the list all worked in the same backstreet market area that was in the city's ghetto district. While their businesses were not technically illegal, almost all the vendors in the ghetto district were almost guaranteed to discreetly sell various illegal goods. Drugs, stolen valuables, and illegally manufactured support items were just a few of the things that could be found in the ghetto district if one looked hard enough and knew the right people.