Chapter 52: Into Madness

"Son, the greatest trick the Devil pulled was convincing the world there was only one of him."

- David Wong

--------------------------------------------------------

It had been two weeks since Izuku had left, and things had gone from bad to worse. With the police and remaining heroes stretched to the limit, the prime minister had made an executive decision to declare martial law and bring in the JSDF. Now to most people this might have seemed like the reasonable thing to do, but Rumi knew better. Bringing in the JSDF meant that the country's priorities had shifted from saving lives to taking lives. There were also reports of unmarked black helicopters flying through the skies and leaving death and destruction wherever they landed. At this point, the remaining pro-heroes had either been forced to stand down or had been arrested for interfering with military operations. Technically, pro-heroes were still considered civilians in the eyes of the government, and the hero commission had no choice but to follow any orders given by the JSDF.

For all intents and purposes, Japan was now undergoing a civil war.

On one side, you had the PLF. The terrorist organization that had rebranded itself as fighting for freedom and independence from things such as laws and rules. On the other side, you had the Japanese government that was fighting to restore order and a sense of normalcy. The population was essentially split in half, for there was no such thing as not taking a side. You were either with one side, or against it.

If you were against the JSDF, it meant swift imprisonment and harsh punishments. If you were against the PLF, it meant that you were prey for anyone stronger than you.

The city Rumi lived in, once a beacon of prosperity and hope, had become cruel and twisted. While everyone tried to go about their daily lives as normal, it was not the same. Normal people lived in constant fear, Faced with either the heavy-handed JSDF enforcement squads, or the roaming gangs of bloodthirsty criminals.

As one of the last remaining active heroes, Rumi knew what she had to do. She wanted no part in the war, all she wanted was to save lives and put smiles on faces.

Landing on her apartment deck, a dirty and sweaty Rumi shuffled into her dimly lit home and sighed heavily. Even though she spent almost every waking moment out on patrol, it was impossible to forget what she used to have with Izuku. Every time she walked into her apartment, part of her expected to be greeted by Izuku's healing smile and heavenly voice.

But now, all that met her was silence.

Turning on the lights, Rumi trudged to her room and took off her hero outfit. Stepping into the shower,Rumi turned on the water and set the temperature to just below boiling. She then closed her eyes and leaned her head against the tile wall and let the water pour over her. The first few days after Izuku had left had been rough. At first, Rumi had simply believed that Izuku would eventually return to her. But after twelve hours of no contact the rabbit hero knew that Izuku was not coming back. She had gone to her now ex-boyfriend's small apartment with the hope that he would be there, but the landlord had said he had not seen Izuku in months. Trying to contact Izuku was another exercise in futility, as his phone number had been deactivated and his email had not shown any signs of life either.

Needless to say, Rumi was heartbroken.

Unlike physical pain, Rumi could not simply ignore the pain in her heart every time she thought of Izuku. With no idea what to do, Rumi had called her closest friend and confided in her. Miyu had been supportive, but as Rumi had talked to her it became obvious that the shark-toothed woman was on Izuku's side. Frankly, Rumi should have expected that. Miyu had been working with Izuku for years, and it was obvious the two shared many of the same opinions and beliefs. Cassandra had taken Rumi's side though, but after hours of talking the only advice the American woman could give was for Rumi to have a heart-to-heart with Izuku and figure things out.