Chapter 59: The End

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1 Year Later]

The restaurant was quiet, the only sound being the faint notes of a love song playing softly in the background. The air smelled of wonderful food that would make anyone's taste buds begin to water, and the lights were dimmed so as to focus on the single occupied table. Sitting at the table, Izuku and Rumi talked to each other lovingly as they ate the perfectly prepared meal. Izuku wore a classy outfit that complemented his green eyes perfectly, and his hair was neatly combed and washed. Rumi wore a cherry red backless dress that accented her red eyes, and her hair was practically glowing silver in the dim light. On the table was a bottle of champagne, an exquisite three course meal, as well as white candles burning softly. Nearby, the massive windows of Lorenzo's restaurant looked out over the city glittering in the night.

It had been a year since the two had announced their relationship to the public, and things were finally calming down. Of course there had been the unavoidable media frenzy, but with Miss Sasaki's guidance the two lovers had managed to endure the deluge of attention without giving any nosy reporters a black eye. Today was the one year anniversary of the public announcement, but in reality the celebratory dinner was to commemorate a year passing since the two had fallen in love with each other.

As he talked with his girlfriend and laughed over a joke, Izuku could not help but nervously fidget. He had been planning this dinner for a long time, and now that it was underway the normally calm and composed man could not stop his heart from fluttering every time Rumi smiled at him. He had called in a bunch of favors, and managed to convince Lorenzo to let him and Rumi have the entire restaurant to themselves so they would not have to worry about any prying eyes.

"I propose a toast." Izuku said with a warm smile as he raised his champagne glass. "A toast to life and love, whether it is simple or not. It has been one hell of a ride, but I can't think of anyone else I would rather be with than you Rumi. I love you so much."

Giggling, Rumi raised her glass as well. "I can drink to that. I love you just as much Izuku, and I will always be with you no matter what life throws at us."

As Rumi took a long drink from her glass and looked out at the shining city below, Izuku swiftly got out of his chair and knelt down onto one knee as he pulled a small ring box from his pocket.

Izuku could not help but chuckle a little when Rumi finally realized what was going on, her eyes immediately welling with tears as she clasped a hand over her mouth to stifle a cry of happiness.

Looking up into his girlfriend's eyes, Izuku spoke straight from the heart as he opened the ring box to reveal an intricate engagement ring featuring a sparkling diamond.

"I had a whole speech planned out, but words cannot express just how much I love you and cherish your companionship. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and raise a family my mom would be proud of. Will you marry me?"

Happy tears flowing down her cheeks, Rumi could not nod fast enough.

"Yes!" She exclaimed breathlessly. "A thousand times yes!"

Sliding the ring onto Rumi's finger, Izuku stood up and was nearly knocked over as his new

fiancée launched herself at him and hugged him tightly. No words were needed as the two hugged each other like they were never going to let go. At that moment the entire outside world was forgotten, the only thing on Izuku's mind was how much he loved Rumi and excitement at the prospect of spending the rest of his living days with his soulmate.