Chapter 26: Emotional Support Rabbit

Izuku stared out the large penthouse window with bloodshot eyes as he sat on the floor, watching the city wake up with a sort of detached interest. Beside him sat an untouched cup of coffee, having gone cold several hours ago and not the least bit enticing to the troubled man.

"It was a mistake to stay here." Izuku thought to himself.

The feeling of his hands choking the life out of Rumi felt like it would never go away. A reminder as to why he always avoided involving others in his personal life. The nightmares and panic attacks he could handle on his own, that was how he had lived his life ever since he left the military.

But now, there was someone else who could be affected by his problems.

The sound of bare feet hesitantly walking closer reached Izuku's ears.

"Izuku..." Rumi said softly as she sat down beside him. "It was not your fault. You were probably still asleep. Your body just moved instinctively...or something..."

"It doesn't matter." Izuku thought as he kept staring blankly out the window. "I hurt someone I care about. That is unacceptable."

Rumi sighed softly and reached out to touch Izuku's shoulder. "Izuku you can't keep-"

She was cut off as Izuku jerked his body away from her touch and continued to stay silent.

Sighing sadly, Rumi pulled her legs up and rested her chin on her knees. "How long have you had nightmares like that?"

"For a while." Izuku said dismissively.

Rumi frowned unhappily and her tone took a slightly sharper edge. "Izuku I want to help you, so please stop being a dick. It was a mistake, an accident. Let's just move forward and focus on solving the problem."

Glancing over at his partner, Izuku spoke in a venomous tone. "There is no problem. Stop sticking your nose in other people's business."

Making a disgusted sound, Rumi glared at Izuku in frustration. "No, you are acting like a dick and not letting me help. I distinctly remember us making an agreement to help each other with our problems, or are you going back on your word?"

Growling in annoyance, Izuku stood up and crossed his arms. "This is different."

Standing up as well, Rumi scowled and put her hands on her hips. "How the fuck is this different?! You-"

Like a pot of tea coming to a boil, Izuku roared at his partner with exasperated rage.

"BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU!"

To her credit, Rumi did not even flinch at the loud outburst. Instead she closed the distance and got nose-to-nose with her green-haired partner.

"You are really starting to piss me off Izuku." She hissed. "You don't get to decide what I can and cannot do. Do you really think that a few bruises are going to change my mind? I would take a fucking bullet for you if it meant you would feel better! So stop being so difficult!"

The two stubborn partners silently glared at each other, neither willing to back down and accept defeat.

The tense silence was broken by the sound of Izuku's phone buzzing. Finally breaking eye contact, Izuku stomped over to the nearby coffee table and answered his phone.

"Midoriya here." He said tersely.

"Oscar came back." Cassandra said with fear in her voice. "He j-just showed up at the door. Said he was checking on me and making sure I w-was safe. I don't know what to do! Can you please help me? I am scared to be alone. My manager said he would hire more security but I dont think regular muscle heads can handle someone like Oscar."