14. Dil Bhar Gya

Saira Malik

I am welcomed by the blinding white lights of the ceilings as I open my eyes that only felt like lifting 100 pounds each. Blinking slowly, I glance around to where I am. Suddenly, I feel the panic rush through me when I find myself in a hospital room. My blurry vision turning clearer as I try to sit up. My hand flew to my throbbing temples making me groan in pain. Shuffling emerged from somewhere in the room and when I peep in its way, I see Hitler rising to his feet.

"Tum?"

Narrowing my eyes at the relief washing over his expression, the events from the day slowly cloud my mind. His raised voice at me, his death grip around my shoulder, the harsh yank on my elbow, the scary vein popping out of his temple like he could explode anytime. And he did. On me.

My hands ball into fists and my teeth clench with rage. He opened his mouth, ready to spew rubbish but I cut him short.

"Don't," I warn him, raising a finger.

"Saira," He called.

"Don't, Fahad. Don't even try." I grit.

"I didn't---"

"I didn't mean it! I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you that way. Mein sharminda hoon bohot. . .and? What else?" I cross my arms, challenging him. The needle injected on my right hand hurting lightly.

"Listen, I know you're mad. But hear me out--"

"I said don't even try explaining yourself to me. 'Cuz, I don't wanna know, you get it?" I regard him with a hard glare, my jaw beginning to hurt from all the clenching. "You're very welcome for not leaving me alone there and bringing me to a hospital. I'll pay the bill, thank you very much. You can leave, aapka kaam hogaya." I finish.

"Saira--"

"F🤡cking leave!" I roar, surprising both him and me not only by yelling but cursing in front of him too.

He opened his mouth once again but before he could say anything, the door flew open, and in came Pho, Mom, and Emad.

"Saira," Pho exhaled, rushing towards me and taking me in a warm hug. "Mere Allah tera shukar!" She exclaimed glancing at the ceiling briefly. 

"Theek hu main, Pho." I say lightly.

"Aysich daradeti ine. Ek second me poora ghar sar pe uthaleti." Mom said, shaking her head at me while I pass her a cheeky smile.

"Kiya hua tha?" Emad inquired, looking at Hitler. I watched him gulp and peek a look at me before answering.

"Beech road pe chalre the inu, truck aari thi peeche se but dekhe nahi aur hit hote hote bachgaye."

"All thanks to him," I say bitterly, earning a glare from him.

"Alhamdulillah." He adds along with the others. His mouth pressed into a thin line. No one noticed the staring battle we had going for a good five minutes until he looked away first.

"Chaliyea Aunty. Ijazat dijiyea meku. Aapki amaanat aapke paas hai sahi salamat."

'Stop controlling me, like you fucking own me!'

'Amaanat hai tum meri. I don't own you just yet.'

In one piece." He adds receiving chuckles from the trio.

Itna bhi kiya funny tha, bhai? I glance at the lot of people, clearly dumbfounded.

Mom ambled towards him, grabbing his face in her palms lovingly, and kissed his forehead. "Allah humesha khush rakhe aapku. Duniya jahan ki daulat se nawazein. Aapke saare murad pure kare mera Malik." She praised him, placing her hand on his head. His eyes flickered over to me on the last part, a foreign emotion floating in them as he uttered 'Ameen' His dark-colored orbs fixated on me all the while.