31. Both Ways

Cheers!

". . .And from there we went to have dinner, and then for ice cream before he dropped me home." I finish narrating the story for the 10th time to different people. Rehana baji regards me with a bored look. Her mouth falling in a thin line, as she pulls away, slumping into the bed of my room.

"That's it?"

"Yeah. Pretty much."

"I want details, Turkey. Juicy details." She stresses.

"Excuse me! I never asked you for juicy details or how you lost your V card or anything for that matter. You shouldn't ask me too. It's private for a reason."

"Not so private when you wear the pendant he gave you 24/7." She points  a finger down at my neck, the rose colored stone shining brightly. A smile made its way to my lips as I recalled his words from that night.

"I'm sworn to secrecy."

"You are a real bitch." She groans, before yanking her hair free of the scrunchie.

"Tell me something I don't know." I say in a Pooh's slang.

"What you don't know is that I know about your accident." My eyes flash on her. "Fahad had called Wajih on his way back home. And Turkey, he was terrified. I could hear his voice wobble over the phone. Was it that bad?" She asks, concern filling her tone.

"It was nothing. It wasn't even an accident–"

"Accident?" Mumma asks alarmed stepping into the room. "What accident?"

"I was just telling baji how I accidently tripped over and sprained my elbow." I feed mumma the lie. Again.

After we reached Muqam-e-Ibrahim, Fahad had walked me to the house and was adamant on telling everyone about my accident and complicate things for no reason. So, me being the smartass, announced how I tripped over a stone and fell. My elbow crushing under my body weight. And that's how I sprained myself. The end.

"And I am fine. No bones broken. See?" I say turning to baji, and stretch my arms and limbs for her to see.

"Kiya kar sakte ab? I've got a clumsy daughter." Mumma smiles sarcastically. "Waise, how did you get here, Rehana?"

"With Wajih."

"So, he dropped you and left."

"No. He's outside in the car." Baji says with a shrug like it's no biggie. But I knew what mumma's reaction was going to be.

"Ek ghante se baher hai Wajih?!" She exclaims, just as I had expected.

(He's been standing right outside since an hour?!)

"Um, yes?" Rehana shoots a confused look, receiving a smack on her head.

"Oww!"

"Kiya yes? Ghar ka bada damaad car me hai ek ghante se aur tum bole bhi nahi!"