17. Story Time

I was ACTUALLY planning to upload this chapter during the weekend. But was busy watching KKK and celebrating AB's win (my baspan ka pyar from 'Mile Jab Hum Tum') 😍

I, honestly, am REGRETTING the decision of writing DM in roman Urdu 'cuz adding English subs is such a DAMN BIG JOB! I'd written this chapter quite long back, and figuring subtitles while editing the whole thing was NOT a joke. 😓

So, koodoos to that! Extra love for the extra effort, please? 🥺

Enjoy ❤ Cheers!

Saira Malik

"Mashallah! Mashallah! Aapki beti hai?" Wajih's mother asks mom, while cupping my cheek in her palm.

(Is she your daughter?")

"Ji, meri beti hai, Saira." Mumma answers with a glow of pride in her eyes.

(Yes. She's my daughter, Saira.)

"Bohot pyaari hai Mashallah se. Main dekhi thi aapku party me, but I didn't know you were Salma's daughter." I can't help but flash her an awkward smile, clearly not knowing how to handle her compliments.

(She is very pretty, Mashallah. I'd seen you in the party, but didn't know you were Salma's daughter.")

"Agar mera ek aur beta hota, to pehle aapku apne ghar ki bahu banati main." She adds.

(If I had another son, I wouldn't waste a second in taking you as my daughter-in-law.)

"Haha!" I let out a dry chuckle along with the others.

"Aunty, you do have another son. Fahad ko agar pata chala ke, aap usko bhool gaye to acha nahi hoga." Rehana baji intervenes, leaving her seat on the couch and standing by us.

"Fahad and Wajih are extremely close. They're brothers basically." She adds, shooting me a mischievous look.

"Fahad to humara hi ghar ka bacha hai. We've seen him grow up!" Mom says.

"Toh main ye rishta pakka samjhu?" Comes a voice from behind us. Hafsa aunty saunters over us with a look of pure adoration on her face. Her smile widened as she beams at me.

(Shall I take that as yes?)

All eyes turned to look at me, while I stand utterly dumbfounded.

"Huh?"

"Fahad qubool hai bete aapku?" Rehana baji's MIL asks.

(Do you accept Fahad as your husband?)

"Abhi boldo. Wajih ke saath me karadinge aap dono ka nikah bhi." Hafsa aunty prompts.

(Say it, so we can get you to married along with Wajih and Rehana.)

"Ji?" I utter exasparately, feeling my stomach stink.

"She said yes!" Rehana baji cheers, clapping her hands.

"No, I didn't!" I exclaim, panic surging through me.

"Mumma!" I whine, tearfully turning towards my mother, when they still had their smiles on and the look on their faces.

"Allah! Rula diyea na sab milke meri Saira ku. Hato!" Hafsa aunty drapes her arms around me while whispering, "Arey bete, mazakh karre the humlog. Ayse thodi Ayaan bhai ki eklauti beti ka nikah hojata? Nahi na." I sniff, pulling away.

(Move away, all of you! Making my Saira cry like this. We were simply playing around with you, bache. How can we get you, Ayaan bhai's only daughter, married like this!)