Prologue

"Marry me, Saira."

There stood Caleb, my brothers best friend, who was also a dear friend of mine, on his knees proposing to me.

The smile on my face turned upside down, as I blinked at him, staggering backwards.

"What?" I utter, astounded.

His expression that was full of hope mere seconds ago, turned into a confused one.

"What do you mean? I love you and I wanna marry you. Don't you want that?" He said, getting to his feet.

Pagal hogya ine!

"Who said I love you and... wanna marry you?" I couldn't even say that without cringing.

Who on earth would want to marry your brother's bestfriend?

"I never saw you that way, Caleb. You are bhai's bestfriend. I could never take you that way! We are really good friends, yes. If there is anyone after bhai for me then it's you. But... not this way."

His mouth was open, like he was trying to say something but couldn't let the words out. He shook his head, slowly. His blonde hair swaying in the process.

He was handsome. Dead drop handsome. An American, with creamy skin, slightly freckled nose and blonde hair. Any girl, be it American or not would die to have him, but not me.

This is not how I imagined my man to be.

"Caleb..." I call him softly, after a moment of silence, stepping towards him. He raised his hand, stopping me.

"Don't." He said, not meeting my eyes. Tears pricked my eyes as a lump formed in my throat, seeing him broken and I was the reason behind it.

"Don't." He said again, glancing my way. His eyes too glistening with tears, as he gulped.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

He clenched his jaw, his nostrils flaring as he spun on his heel and left. Not saying anything further.

I stare at his back, till he disappeared. Standing frozen in my spot. I couldn't comprehend what took him to the place he was in, what made him think I was in love with him, or what made him think I  wanted to marry him.

Because, I haven't been there. Not even close.

I could never imagine loving Caleb, more than a friend, let alone marrying him.

He could be an orphan.

He could be bhai's bestfriend.

He could become my parent's son.

He could become my dear friend.

But... he could never become my husband.

Ewwww!!

Gulping, I make my way towards the subway station, swiping my card and hoping on the train to my house.

The entire ride home, my mind was in a chaos. How could he think I...

How could he?

Was it my fault?

Was I the reason behind it?

Sighing, I massage my temples, pushing the door open. "Assalamalaikum." I say, taking off my shoes and placing them on the stand to my right.

"Walaikumsalam. Come have dinner, Saira." Said my mom, from the dining area.

"I'm not hungry. I'm gonna sleep. Allah hafiz."

"Kiya hua meri beti?"

"Kuch nai, papa." I mutter, ascending the stairs to my room and shutting the door behind me.

"Ya Allah!" I whine, plopping down on the bed.

Caleb and... me?

I clutch the pillow, bringing it to my face and screaming in it.

XOXO

M.