Chapter 2

It had been several weeks since Izuku was slapped in the face with the reality of his situation.
He still hadn't told anyone, especially not his mother, but he didn't quite need to anymore as she was slowly beginning to get worried about him by herself.
Her once lovely boy that loved to spend time with her seemed to stay in his room with his curtains blocking out the sunlight, and he had started to make any excuse he could in order to not go to school, nevertheless regarding that he did keep up with the lectures, just from home, having the teachers mail him the assignments.

Inko had a suspicion that it wasn't just stress, but that something must have happened to make her darling boy this sad.
She put it off for days, hoping naively that her son would return to his old self, but eventually she gathered up the courage to walk in on him in his room.

He was sitting by the computer watching a hero explaining about various of his support items. Such as booster boots, jet packs, and grappling hook shooters.
Izuku was staring at the screen as he sipped a glass of ice water.
He hadn't noticed her yet.

The hero seemed smart and definitely knew what he was talking about, as he should, after all it was his gear, but he didn't fail to mention that the ones who had build it for him deserved the title as hero just as much as him.

"Izuku" Inko finally interrupted which prompted Izuku to let out a Yelp as he quickly paused the video and turned in his chair to look at his mother.

"Mom! Y-you didn't knock" he told her.
He wasn't really upset, because he knew that his mother would never purposely invade his boundaries, so she must have simply forgotten, and his assumptions was right.

Inko looked behind her, slightly ashamed and embarrassed that she had forgotten, but then she let it a deep sigh, one she usually made when she would have a serious conversation with Izuku.
Izuku knew that and steeled himself for the inevitable.
"I'm sorry but-" she quickly cut herself off as she tried to find the right words.
In truth she had no idea what to say to her son in order to either make him open up or to cheer him up.
"What's wrong honey?...you know you can talk to me about anything that might be bothering you, right?" She leaned forward and put a hand on her sons knee as he looked down, unable to meet her eyes.

"I'm fine mom" Izuku managed to smile, though still not looking at his mother.
Now Inko was able to tell how fake that smile was, and it made her even more worried.

"But you're not...i can see it on your face!" Her voice began to shake as she got more and more emotional.
"Honey please tell me what's wrong"

Izuku didn't want to.
He didn't want to seem weaker than he already felt, but he didn't want to hurt his mom either.
What could he say?
What should he do?
"It's just..." he immediately trailed off, not knowing what words should follow.
He sighed and hung his head lower and his mother finally stood and hugged him.
She could tell that he was really trying to tell her.
"I can't be a hero"

Finally he said it, and along with the words came tears gathering in his eyes.

It hurt to say out loud.

He felt his mother tightening her arms around him as she let out a shaking gasp.
"What? Why do you say that?"
Inko simply didn't understand.
While she has at times agreed with others when they'd say that it would be too dangerous and hard for him to become a hero she had been so happy to see that he kept trying.
He never let the fact that he was quirkless convince him that he was a wasted potential.
So why now?
"Talk to me..."

"I say it because it's true..." Izuku was barely able to get it out without his voice breaking.
"I don't want to keep living a lie!"

"Izuku..." Inko was shocked.

"I just...I want to use my time in something achievable" Izuku's tears finally fell and he bit down on his lower lip to keep himself from whimpering as the pain in his chest only got worse.
He spoke his true feelings, now he truly felt that wishing for the unachievable was a waste of his time.
But how was Inko supposed to feel? Seeing the light in her son's eyes die out moment by moment.
"Let's just...leave it at that, okay?" Izuku mumbled and turned his chair back to look at his paused computer screen.

Inko was almost relieved at the chance to change the topic. She needed time to think of something good to tell Izuku. To find out er she could say to get him smiling again.

Izuku looked back at his mother to explain.
"It's the hero backlash that's explaining about all his gear"

"I see, is technology like that something that interests you Izuku?"

Izuku's eyes momentarily widened.
He had spent so much time on his computer lately watching all kinds of new videos beside catastrophe scenes from hero rescues, he hadn't even realized hero gear had started to become so interesting to him until his mother asked.
"Well...yeah I guess I've begun to get interested in it..."

"Well That's very good honey" Inko smiled.
Was she a bad mother for being relieved by this?
Although she was sad that her boy was heartbroken she had always feared him becoming a hero. Her worst nightmare had always been that something terrible should happen to Izuku, perhaps this new interest was a sign that he was meant to do something else?
"Do you think I can watch it with you?"

Izuku seemed taken aback by his mother's interest.
"You really want to? Why?"

"I want to know more about my sons interests is all" Inko smiled brightly. So brightly izuku almost wanted to shield his eyes, and as if her happiness was contagious the ache in his chest slowly and steadily became less painful.

But it still remained.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Inko would have to admit that she didn't understand a thing about What that hero was saying.
It was all so technical with a few jokes and kind comments to the mechanics thrown into the mix, but she didn't need to understand, because she could tell izuku did and that he genuinely liked to be learning about it.

She wasn't surprised.
Izuku had always loved having all of the facts, that was also why he had so many notebooks of every hero he could come across.
In his mind he just needed to know those facts and in videos like these they were laid out to him.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

As Inko kept on supporting him in any way he needed he seemed to slowly get better, and just a week later he was ready to go back to school, and two weeks after that it seemed like the worst had been over.

The teachers told Inko that he luckily didn't seem to have fallen behind and that he actually seemed more presents during the lectures.
It was something that made Inko sigh in relief. Her son was finally starting to come back.
However some things had changed.

"What's that you have there?" Inko asked and pointed to an old and dirty machine in Izuku's arms.
It looked like a computer from before she was even born.

"Oh this?" He held it up.
"It's an old computer"

"Yes but..,why do you have it? You already have a computer, and that one looks broken"

Izuku smiled slightly.
A small smile was still all he could currently manage and Inko was very understanding regarding that.
"That's the point, I want to see if I can fix it. Don't worry mom I'll make sure not to make too boy if a mess"

"Can something like that even be fixed?"

"I don't know" he shrugged. "But I think that's part of the fun to find out right? And even if it can't be fixed there's probably something inside I can take out and use for something else" he looked down at the computer with a glimmer in his eyes.
It wasn't the same as when he would talk about heroes, but it was good, and Inko was happy that he found a way to find joy in this.

She let out a little laugh.
"Well alright, but don't make too big of a mess"

Izuku nodded.
"Thanks mom!" And then he went to his room to work on that project, and it would only be the first one.

A/N

Sorry that it took so long to get this out

For future chapters I want you ask to know that I know absolutely nothing about technology or engineering so...don't believe anything i might say XD