Chapter 22

When Izuku started to regain consciousness his eyes were blinded by the bright lights reflecting off of the white ceiling, telling him that he was most likely back in the infirmary, and it was then that the memories of his fight with Katsuki came back to him.

He had tried so hard and yet he lost.

He brought his hands to his face and groaned.

It was a strange sensation in his chest.

He was proud of himself for even getting this far but so disappointed in himself for losing.

He would have loved to stand on that biggest pedestal, making All might proud, but surely also securing his transfer.

He hoped that the ones given the job of seeing if he was worthy would be satisfied with a second place.

"You're awake, that's good"

Izuku removed his hands that shielded his vision to cast a look upon his mentor, all might sitting beside his bed.

"You hit your head pretty hard..."

"Oh," izuku lifted his hand further and felt that his head was indeed bandaged quite neatly.

"Yeah, I'm sorry"

"No, you fought so well young Midoriya, so don't apologize"

"But-"

"Did you know that when I went to UA I didn't even get into the top 3 at the first sports festival" all might told him.

It was true, in his first year he got seventh place, because he, just as Izuku couldn't use his power to perfection yet, still, year 2 and 3 he got first place.

"R-really?" The fanboy part of izuku was ashamed that he didn't know this fact about his idol but the rest of him, the part that had accepted All might as his frail mentor teaching him to one day take his place, he felt relieved.

It would mean that all might wouldn't be disappointed in him.

"Yes, I was quite bummed too, but my master told me I did great, and the year after I did better, but getting second place is second to perfect, don't forget that" all might grinned, something Izuku would admit that he wasn't used to seeing him doing in the skinny form.

All might didn't mention it, but he was also impressed that Izuku even had the courage to stand up against his bully in a one-on-battle.

"Old stories aside, if you feel better the ending ceremony can end soon"

"Ah! Yes, of course, my head doesn't hurt at all now"

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

As confetti fell from above izuku stood frozen, taking in the cheering crowds, not even acknowledging Katsuki's presence beside, but slightly above him.

This was a moment he had waited for his entire life.

The cheering crowds were those beside all might that made him feel like he truly deserved this.

"you're so annoying"

Izuku raised his head, looking at Katsuki's scowling face, not even looking at him, but rather right ahead.

Izuku wondered if he thought he was annoying for the simple fact that he had fought his way to stand beside him, but then with the help of a light breeze, he felt cold lines of tears falling from his eyes.

He should have figured.

"Oh...yeah" Izuku nodded and chuckled as he wiped the tears away just as All might jumped down in front of them as Midnight cheered for his arrival, apparently also cutting him off.