Chapter 20

Stepping upon the stage of hard, and now fixed, the concrete realization set into Izuku once more.

This was his chance. His one and only chance. He should want Todoroki to be an easy opponent, he should want him to hold back by not using his fire, thereby making it more likely that izuku could win, he should want that, but he didn't.

He meant what he had said to Todoroki, he was annoyed, but perhaps he was also right, maybe he didn't understand, but maybe he didn't want to.

Locking eyes with him as he came to a standstill he didn't break it again, staring into his mismatched eyes.

It was nerve-wracking, but sort of exciting at the same time.

In his round against Shinsou, he hadn't been able to show what he was really made of.

"Are you both ready" midnight asked with her arm raised, ready to start the battle.

Izuku swore that he could already see a thin layer of frost on Todoroki's hand.

"Ready" Todoroki nodded, never breaking eye contact.

"Me too"

"Alright" Midnight nodded, looking worriedly between the two boys.

The atmosphere was already thick enough to cut with a butter knife and the battle hadn't even begun.

"Begin!"

Not a second passed before there was an iceberg coming Izuku's way, and at that moment he was so happy that he chose to wear his booster boots as they allowed him to quickly jump to the side, and while still in the air he brought his hand up.

'10% 10% just 10%!'

Izuku shot a blast of one for all at 10% through his insect finger, causing it to turn red and throb with pain, but Todoroki put amp an ice wall that partially shattered when the blast collided with it.

"Dang it" izuku muttered, and just as he did the floor began to freeze over and he realized that what Todoroki was trying to do was to ruin his boots so he could no longer drudge the attacks as easily, but instead of freezing up Zulu jumped behind the iceberg Todoroki had made.

"Are you really trying to hide right now!?" Todoroki seemed frustrated with his opponent's unwillingness to fight him, but that thought didn't remain long as a huge piece of the iceberg dislodged from the rest and came flying towards him.

It was such a huge piece that he knew he didn't have time to make an efficient wall, so instead, he opted to jump to the side, not realizing that that was exactly what Izuku had hoped he would do.

Just a millisecond before Todoroki was on solid ground again he felt hurdled backward by another one of Izuku's blasts of one for all.

He rolled across the ground but put an ice wall behind him meters before he tumbled out of bounds.

In truth it was Izuku's attitude that had made Todoroki determined to beat him, he hadn't actually expected izuku to be strong enough to make him struggle.

He had expected that it would be as easy as his fight against Sero.

He was getting cold.

He looked up to see his father standing in the stands, wearing that permanent frown on his face.

'I refuse'

Even if it was just for giving himself some heat he wouldn't, not in battle, not while his father was watching.