Chapter 16

Izuku had barely been able to catch his breath before all the other contestants filed in through the gate to the stadium.

1 through 40 would pass, and Izuku and Hatsume were the only ones from support to get within the top 40.

"Seeing you at the finish line as I said" Hatsume pushed izuku, though he was pretty sure it was supposed to be a pat on the back.

"Sooooooooo did you show off your goods!? Because I did! Yesss they're looking at me!" Hatsume focused on the stands where the reach firm representatives were sitting, and with her quirk, she was able to tell that they were focusing a lot of their attention on her.

"But they're looking at you too, aren't you excited!!?"

"V-very" izuku nodded. It would be awesome to get recognized for the hard work it took to make these things, but that wasn't the reason he was there and he didn't want it to be a distraction.

"Deku!"

Izuku flinched.

Katsuki was probably already in a really bad mood because he didn't get number one, and he was probably gonna take it out on him.

He probably didn't think he deserved his spot.

"What?"

"You heard what I said right!? I'm gonna win!" Katsuki yelled before turning back around, having no more to say.

"Ohhh gloomy" Hatsume joked, but to Izuku he didn't think so at all, at least not comparing to what he had expected.

To Izuku, it sounded like he was making sure izuku took it as a challenge.

Was he actually starting to acknowledge him?

"Alright everyone gathers 'round" midnight called all 40 remaining students to the front of the stage, ready to start the next competition.

Midnight then explained that each placing in the race gave a certain amount of points, and how they would try to steal those points in a cavalry battle made up of 4 people teams.

"Uh..." Izuku looked around, trying to spot his friends in the crowd to make a team of. He already had Hatsume on his side, but he needed more.

"Oh, Iida!" He ran up to his speedster friend. "Wanna team up?"

"Apologies!" Iida bowed. " have already agreed to be on another team"

"O-oh, no worries"

"Izuku! I can be on your team if you want!" Uraraka came running through the crowd.

"Great! Now we just need one more..." izuku scanned the other students.

Everyone was sticking to people of their own class, and nearly everyone had made teams already.

He moved through the crowd of teams, and then he saw him.

"Todoroki?"

The dual-haired boy turned around.

He had been standing all alone, but izuku knew why. Even if he was number one in. The reach, even if he was strong nobody would dare be on a team with the one that would be everyone's target.

"Oh it's you, number 5"

"Ah, yeah I came in number 5, that's right, but hey, you don't have a team yet, right?"

"...right"

"Join me then!"

Todoroki blinked at him, and then glanced around. It was evident to Izuku that he would much rather be with his own classmates whom he knew and to an extend trusted, but when he realized that Izuku's team was the last one he sighed. "Sure, what's your quirk"