00 • The Fourth of July

•Prologue•

•Prologue•

My family isn't normal.

Not that anyone's is, I guess. But mine is a special kind of fucked up.

The infamous Tenney's of Newport, Rhode Island.

On the outside, we looked like the picture of American happiness.

My father was a well-respected Four-Star Admiral in the Navy. He knew everybody in D.C., and was poised to become a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He was also a cheating, lying, manipulative asshole.

My mom was the daughter of a former South Korean Ambassador. Beautiful and smart. Together they had four kids: Nora, Easton, Southron, and me... Westmore.

Or just West.

To this day, I swear I was only conceived to complete the cardinal direction naming scheme, because I was about as un-Tenney like as could be.

But all us kids, we were raised to be Naval Officers. Just like our dear old dad.

And when you come from a military family, there was no holiday celebrated with as much fervor as The Fourth of July. To be honest, I loved it. It was the one day I was actually proud to be a Tenney.

And this year was no exception. It was my brother South's first time back home after his most recent deployment with Seal Team Six.

Seal Team Six was elite, and what they did wasn't discussed.

I hadn't seen South in a year. He'd grown a scruffy beard I wasn't used to, and his black hair was longer than I remember. Out of all of us, South looked the most like our dad. Square jaw and hazel eyes. Thick arms and broad in the chest.