21 • An Unexpected Guest

South's BMW pulled up to a towering estate built entirely out of veined white marble

South's BMW pulled up to a towering estate built entirely out of veined white marble. Water bubbled in a Victorian-style fountain of oxidized copper while gilded gates lined the front garden.

Despite the grandeur, this place felt cold and impersonal.

I knew the Tenney's were a part of Newport's elite—Easton's wedding was at Gotham Hall—but the level of wealth South grew up with hadn't really sunk in. Not until this very moment.

His hand was still on my thigh as we rolled to a stop inside a garage the size of my family's quaint downtown home. There were seven cars parked inside—seven.

My father might be an admiral, and my mom might be a well-respected research oncologist, but we weren't this kind of Newport rich. Not even close.

"Did you know dad was gonna be home?" West groaned from the back seat. South's hand tensed on my thigh.

"I didn't."

"Give me the keys," West demanded. "I'll drive myself back to the apartment. Text me when you're ready to leave, and I'll pick you two up. If I'm here, dad will turn the evening into a nightmare."

A nightmare?

South shook his head. "Don't do that to ma. She's expecting you, so stay. I got your back, remember?"

A measure of warmth passed between the two, and I swore I saw the moment West realized he could trust his brother. It reminded me so much of Lydie and me.

"Fine," West huffed. Folding his arms across his chest. "But if Raske is here, I'm out. I'm not going to eat with her, not in front of ma."

"Deal. If Raske is here, we leave. I'll send ma flowers or something."

I gave South a curious look, and his mouth tightened. "Just some stupid family drama. Don't worry."

West made an annoyed sound from the back seat.

Family drama?

Jack Dougherty's appearance was starting to make even more sense, and my desire to help him figure out exactly what was going only grew.

I bit my lip. Should I tell South about the private investigator?

I thought that I should, but not right now. It would only add to the tension between the family.

"If this is too weird, just say so."

I gave South a guarded smile before leaning in and pressing a kiss to his stubbly cheek. "I'm a PR person. I'm pretty good at dealing with weird."

And being fake. I tried to tamp down Lianna's voice but wasn't entirely successful.

But, South's look brightened, and he opened his car door and slid out. "I swear, Camilla, you are a fucking angel."