12 • Reservations

Monday night, after I'd gotten home from work, I took Rocky for a walk down by the beach

Monday night, after I'd gotten home from work, I took Rocky for a walk down by the beach. While we were walking, I received a call from Spencer Fredericksen about the charity art show he was hosting.

We talked about the details, and I made a few notes on my phone.

"Thanks again for helping us get the word out, Camilla," Spencer said in his smooth voice.

"Not a problem, it's my job!" Rocky tugged in the leash, ready to finish our walk. I scratched him behind his ears.

"Oh, and by the way, I was wondering if you ever went to St. Francis? My mother mentioned she'd met your family before, but for whatever reason, I couldn't find your name in the yearbook."

I let out a laugh to cover up the anxiety clawing up my throat. It seemed I was a pretty forgettable person. The ghost of the infamous St. Francis School of Newport, Rhode Island.

"Yes, I did. But my sister and I only went to St. Francis for like two months before we moved. My dad got promoted, and had to take a job down in Georgia, so no yearbook photos."

After I hung up with Spencer, I broke into a jog as I made my way back up winding hills to our house. My smiley Lab seemed happy for an excuse to run, and I wanted to put distance between the painful memories of my sister and that night under the bleachers.

When I got back home, there was a note on the fridge letting me know my parents had went out to dinner. Rocky slurped down a bowl full of water while I collapsed on to one of leather couches.

Sticky and sweaty and feeling like a stranger in my own house.

"What am I doing, Lydie?" I asked the ceiling. "I know you wanted me to be braver, to conquer all the things in life that scare me, but I don't know if I can."

Slick tears burned in the corners of my eyes. "I don't know who I am without you. I don't know if I'm as strong as you thought I was."

Rocky's damp nose pushed against my hand, and I scratched him behind the ears again.

I closed my eyes, and my traitorous thoughts lingered on South. I wanted him to remember me. I wanted that night to have meant something to him, too.

I just wanted something real. And maybe I wanted it with a guy that felt a little dangerous.

But, in the end, did it even matter? I shouldn't even be thinking about South. He'd was probably hanging out with my boss right now. Thinking of him and Lianna together made my chest uncomfortably tight, and I had trouble finding sleep until well past four in the morning.